1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with goat foot problem...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TheNewMrsEvans, Sep 10, 2009.

1. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    So I noticed this on Vera's foot a while ago when we trimmed her hooves. I filed off the ruff stuff between her toes, but now it seems to be a little worse rather than better. The crack in between is now a little puffy and pink.

How should I treat this? What is it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    I would post this with the pictures on www.backyardherds.com There are a lot of experienced goat people on that forum. It looks like some type of foot rot to me but don't know how to treat it.

Good luck with her!

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Was that picture taken before or after you trimmed her feet? If it was after, you have some more work to do. All the horn that is folded under the toe needs to be trimmed off. If you go to caprinesupply.com I think you can find an inexpensive booklet that shows exactly how to trim goats' feet.

4. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    I'm new to goats myself and have only trimmed mine a couple of times so far but the sore spot doesn't look to be where you would normally trim right? I might try some preporationH on it....kinda looks like sore hock (what my rabbits get on the bottoms of their feet sometimes and prepH was what worked to take the swelling down...worked great.) Sorry not much help...hopefully someone else can answer too.[​IMG]

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    The foot probably needs some type of betadine soak or epsom salts or something but I'm not sure on sore feet.

6. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Is there a sore between the toes? If so, put both alcohol and some Penn G on it, just drizzle it. And those hooves need a lot more trimming. They need to be flat to the bottom of the foot, not curled over at all.

7. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    First of all, trim that goats hooves [​IMG] Does it smell at all? Is it scabby or is anything draining from it. If not then, my guess is that it's fungus. At the feed store they should have some spray for fungus/foot rot you can put on it.

8. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    You need to take a lot more off and get the peeling areas in between the hoof. If you are afraid fo taking too much get a heavy file and file them down a littel at a time \\It will do you no good to treat her if you don't get down to the source. Make sure she has had her cd^t for this year as well or she coudl get tetanus cause it looks like you are going to have to get into some tissue.

9. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I paid an "expert goat hoof trimmer" to come out and trim all of their feet about 1 month ago. She said she never trims heels, but from what I've read now she was dumb.
    I know i have to trim her toes again, but I just was more worried about this when i saw it! The spot in between her toes is a little moist feeling, but mostly just pink and puffy.
    I have some betadine, so I think i'll wash it and put that on it today. Then go get some stuff for thrush...it didn't smell like stinky horse feet, but i don't know what else it could be. We live in a sandy desert for hecks sake!

10. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Your "expert" hoof trimmer is not an expert. The goat in the picture has a lot more than one month's worth of excess growth. The bottom of the hoof should be flat. And yes the heels need to be trimmed. Also the dewclaws if necessary. There is an inexpensive little booklet called Nanny Pedicures available. I think Caprine Supply carries it. If you get that extra hoof off, the foot problem may very well cure itself because the area will be cleaner and dryer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by