Need help with hatchling! PICS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FreckleFace, Dec 19, 2011.

1. FreckleFace

FreckleFace Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    This was our first attempt with hatching chicks. We bought one of those still air styrofoam incubators from a local feed store and we had a heck of a time regulating temperature and humidity throughout the hatch. We were able to keep the temperature between 98 and 100 most of the time, but there was a temp spike to 106 for at least a few hours on day 16.

Yesterday was day 25 and I was planning to throw out the eggs, but we heard peeping in the morning. One lone chick hatched yesterday around 2 pm. When he came out he flopped around and wobbled, which I figured was normal, but now 24 hours later he is still just flopping around - not moving normally. On closer inspection, one leg is tucked up under him. He can move it but he doesn't like to extend it as far as the other leg. The joint is swollen and it looks like he scraped it on the wire floor in the stupid incubator and it's oozing slightly, so we moved him into the brooder.

He is also constantly shaking/trembling even though he is under the heat lamp in the brooder. (Is he in pain?) Yesterday he was moving around the incubator, but today he can't get around the brooder on his own. He just kind of flops around and peeps his little head off.

I've never had hatchlings before. How long does it take them to walk normally? At what point should we intervene and try a splint or chick chair? Do we need to cull the poor little guy?

You can see how the chick is sitting upright, but his legs aren't lined up correctly.

[​IMG]

And here's another shot of how he sits himself up with his legs too far forward. He didn't seem to do this yesterday.

[​IMG]

There is a sore on his leg where the wire floor of the incubator rubbed it raw overnight.

[​IMG]

I would appreciate any suggestions! Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Is this your first time hatching?
    Just give him a little more time and see how he does. Keep us updated!

3. FreckleFace

Jul 26, 2011
    Yes, this is our first time. Can you tell by how much we're freaking out? [​IMG]
    How long does it usually take a baby chick to get its legs sorted out. I guess I'm just worried because it seems like he should be walking around at a day old.

4. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    I would splint it with a bandaid. You can cut it in half and tape the legs together with a gap in between where the bandage part of the bandaid is. I would also put a little neosporin on the raw part. I would recommend giving a drop of polyvisol infant vitamins daily. The ones without iron. Just hold the dropper on the beak and when it peeps drop a small amount into its mouth. It really gives them a good boost.

5. FreckleFace

Jul 26, 2011
    Quote:Thank you for the tips! Okay - I have a dumb question about the splint. Our chick has feathers on his legs. I read about bandaid splints but I'm afraid it will tear the feathers out when we remove the bandaid.

6. bikerchic

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    I had one on my last hatch who popped around with its legs straight out in front of it. I gave the vitamins and it started walking the next day. It was not as steady as the others, but it was better. Any that seem weak I give vitamins to.

7. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:I think the way he is sitting is fairly normal. He won't be able to truly walk untill he's been out of the egg for a few hours, maybe even a day.
    I agree with bikerchick too.

8. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    You can try vet wrap, it is also used for humans.
    Looks like an ace bandage, but it sticks to itself.

The baby actually looks better than I thought it would, give him some time.
    Good luck!

9. bikerchic

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    I would try the vitamins for 12-24 hours and see if you see an improvement. Then do the splint. I put one on mine and it had feathered legs. I was just careful pulling it off. I didn't leave it on very long it fussed and just laid on its side. I couldn't take it. The vitamins really helped.

10. bikerchic

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    *duplicate*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by