Need help with Humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WillGriffin03, Mar 17, 2017.

1. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    Hi, I have a brand new incubator and everything works great, except for the fact that my air sacs are way to small and the eggs that I have (that are definitely fertile as I candled them) aren't hatching very well, out of 12 fertile eggs I got 3 chicks!

Am I doing something wrong with the humidity? The temperature is fine and my Hygrometer is measuring 50-55% but the humidity drops over the course of a couple hours. How can I keep the humidity stable at what I want it to be at? I have a bit of water in there but it has been draining quickly, I read in another thread about a we sponge, would that work? Will my eggs hatch in good ratios with such small air sacs?

I really look forward to hearing from you,

TIA,
    William

2. krm944

krm944 Just Hatched

Mar 10, 2017
    Hampton Roads VA
    What kind of incubator is it?

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If the air cells are significantly small you can set the upright in cut down cartons and hatch that way if you have room. It helps keep extra moisture away from air cell if they do internally pip. A wet sponge or two in the bator is what I use to help increase humidity. Have you checked your hygrometer for accuracy? What was your humidity for incubation?

4. WillGriffin03

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    Hi Amy,

Thanks for your response! To answer your questions:

Yes I have checked it for accuracy and it's reasonably accurate and my humidity goes from the right temperature (50-55%) to 30% in a matter of hours! What do you mean by the egg carton?

Thanks,
    William

5. WillGriffin03

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    I'm not really sure, but I do know that it doesn't control the humidity.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Remember that humidity is not about volume of water, but the amount of surface area that the water covers. More water in the tray will keep the humidity more stable. But 50 is a bit high for during incubation.

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I agree 50% is high for standard chicken egg during incubation. I run 30% and monitor my air cells to know if I need to raise it. Usually 30% is my golden number for the first 17 days. For hatch you do need to try to get it up to 65% I use 70-75% For hatch I fill all my water wells and then I add 1 or 2 wet sponges at egg level. That way all I have to do is rewet my sponge to replenish humidity.

By egg cartons, I mean the egg cartons you get when you buy eggs. If you have room in the bator you can cut them down, cut out a hole in the bottom for air circulation in each cup, and put the eggs, pointed end down, in the cartons and hatch them upright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by