Need Help with Humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jaguar6, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Jaguar6

Jaguar6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    Hello,

I have some questions about humidity. I chick are due to hatch this coming Saturday (my husband's b-day!) and I know that I must stop tuning them on Thursday but I don't know how to get the humidity up to 60-65%. I have a homemade styrofoam incubator that has a current humidity level at about 50%. There is no fan. I have tried putting hot water with a sponge at the bottom but it bearly goes up. What should I do. Especially that I will be absent for a part of Friday, if they decide to arrive early. Should spray the eggs with a mist of water? I saw that somewhere. Also do I keep the temps at about 100F?[​IMG]

Thanks

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Ooops, I didn't read your post carefully enough.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I put a cup with about 1/4 water and a sponge. the humidity will jump but i just remove the red plugs seeing how you have homemade incubator if you have holes in the top that can be plugged or unplugged this should work for you also just watch it for a day some you get it right before you leave on friday. What are you hatching?

4. Jaguar6

Jaguar6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    I am hatching all sort of breeds....Chanteclerc, Brahma, Wyandotte, Blue Cochin, Nagasai, Bantam Cochins. Yep pretty much all for sale. I am a student and I'm trying to make ends meet. I will keep a few and the sell the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by