need help with hygrometers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woody743, Feb 1, 2011.

1. woody743

woody743 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Franklin Ohio
    I need a reliable way to monitor my temperature and humidity. What do I need to get.
    Help

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Well... a reliable thermometer and hygrometer would be my first choice.

Are you asking where to get these? Also, my question is, whats your budget?

For the source of these, I recommend ebay. I got a digital cigar humidor hygrometer off ebay, made to protect expensive cigars. It tends to be reliable for that reason. Mine cost about $15. There are also cheaper analog versions available.

For a thermometer, you can use the inexpensive infant thermometers found at any discount store. The range of temps for humans is the same range for incubating eggs, so this works.
    They are also guaranteed to be accurate to within .2 degrees... more than enough for an incubator.

These are not fancy, nor purpose designed, so they can be fiddly to use. This is especially so for the thermometer. A good substitute is an aquarium thermometer, with remote probe. These are also found on ebay. I place the probe in a water weasel and the controls outside the incubator chamber, where they are accessible. They are also more than accurate enough for the purpose.

The two together will not likely cost more than $20-$25 and I used them successfully when I was incubating, back in the day.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  3. woody743

woody743 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Franklin Ohio
    I have a child's digital thermometer. An aquarium thermometer, 2 that came with the LG incubator. I ordered a digital one off ebay that is the dual one and every one reads different. I would like to have have one that is accurate for $30 to $40 range. Cheaper is always better.

4. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    A reliable hygrometer that has been recommended here is the PETCO humidity gauge ($5). I've calibrated 2 myself and they are spot on.

For a thermometer, I used a Sunbeam digital meat thermometer (you can get them at WalMart in the kitchen section for under $10). I placed this thermometer into an empty eggshell filled with gel (you can use hair gel). I don't worry so much about ambient temps, but keep an eye on the internal temps of the "eggmeter".

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Well, its your money. I found the aquarium type to be adequate. Was it NASA grade accuracy? No. But it was enough to do the job.
    Much depends on whether you are measuring air temps or using a water weasel.
    Air temps vary widely.

The dual ones are crap, that is for sure; so are the bulb types that come with the incubators.

The thing to do is calibrate whatever you use, so you know what the deviation is should there be one. Or spend $40... and still calibrate.

6. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i use a reptile one from petco... the little yellow one... i calibrated it with my fish tank... it was spot on... then i got a hygrometer from petco too... 5 bucks, and calibrated 76%... so that's close enough for me... and was 5 bucks... LOL... it's the one that has petco's name on it... i also know the thermometer is pretty spot on because i have a ronco digital temp controller on my incubator and they read the same...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by