need help with identifying my new layers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MommaV, Jan 14, 2013.

1. MommaV

MommaV New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    Hi. I need some help identifying my new birds. I had 17 birds, but only 4 that were old enough to lay. So I decided to get a few that were already laying. I thought the lady said they were Aracauna's but she did have quite a speech problem. After reading about the breed, I am at a loss for that they actually are. They lay brown eggs. She told me that they would lay colored eggs. I think she may have been confused about which of her chickens are laying which eggs. Because yesterday all six of my layers laid an egg and every egg was brown. The eggs could not be distinguished from the eggs my Buff Orpingtons lay. Any ideas? I could definitely use the advised from members more experienced than myself.

Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Either those are easter egger mixes that didn't get the blue egg gene or your new ladies aren't laying yet but some other pullet has started. How old are the younger ones?

3. MommaV

MommaV New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    My pullets were hatched mid October. None of them are acting the way my Orps did before they started laying.

Also, I was told these new birds were one year and one and a half years old.

But who knows?

Here's a current pic which includes my pullets

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Well they look like EEs...do all of them lay colored eggs? I don't know a lot about them...other than I want to get 2

5. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

Well, what sometimes happens is that people breed their EEs to either EEs or whatever else they have. They can then end up with brown layers that still have many other features so they look like an EE but don't lay like one. I suspect the seller was well aware but there is no way to prove it. They are pretty barnyard mixes, though. Rarely, you can get such a bird from a hatchery that sells them as Ameraucanas but most of the time, hatchery Ameraucanas (EEs) lay green eggs.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  6. MommaV

MommaV New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    I agree, they are pretty. My girls named them Penny and Maria. I was hoping for colored eggs just for the fun of it. But I am glad to be getting 5-6 eggs per day. No more buying eggs!

7. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I understand, I'm in love with the pretty mixed-color egg basket myself. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by