Need Help With Kitties!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by salt and pepper, Oct 14, 2013.

1. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

During the weekend, I ended up rescuing four, 3 week old feral kittens ( their mom is dead ) . They all did well for the first few days, but one had a lump on her back, and a hole in her head. Took her to the vet, and it ended up being wolf worms [​IMG]. Well, she's doing fine now, but now I have another problem [​IMG] One of the kitties won't..... excrete a solid substance.... AKA he's constipated. I have tried EVERYTHING, stimulation, pumpkin, enema, olive oil, baths, Epsom soak, She won't poop!!! She's now acting lethargic, and won't eat much. Her stomach isn't distended, or swollen, and everything looks normal. What can I do??? I've already taken one to the vet, and am reluctant to have to bring another. She HAS gone a bit, I would say half a tablespoon within the last 5 days..... They are almost 4 weeks, and I will be getting canned food soon, will that help her?? Right now she just gnaws on the bottle and doesn't get much out of it. She pees plenty.... HELP|!!!!

2. Michelle N M

Michelle N M New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    California
    Have you tried milk? That should give the kittie the runs(not to be gross). I've had 4 cats in all, but 2 at the moment. They are VERY expensive animals! Hope the milk helps(if you haven't used it already).

3. salt and pepper

I can always try!

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I would call your vet and ask. So nice of you to rescue those babies.

5. salt and pepper

Thank you [​IMG] I did take one to the vet today, ( found another wolfworm!!! ) and told her that they weren't going potty, and she said not to worry, since the tummies weren't hard ( like it would be with a blockage ) She told us to keep doing what we are doing, and to give them some wet food. I think I'll mix some cow's milk with the food to get the best of both worlds =)

6. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Good, I'm so glad it was no big deal. Little kitties are so special. [​IMG]

7. salt and pepper

I am too! Now I don't have to worry as much about the other wolf worm victim not going. I'm wondering if it's not just a coincidence that it's these two having trouble? Also, when can you tell if their going to have a fluffy coat or not, and if they are spayed/neutered, have their rabbies shot, and flee meds, is it mean to have outside cats? I love them a ll! And am so happy that I found them!

8. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    It's highly doubtful that they are spayed/neutered. Vets usually recommend getting that done at 6 months. Rabies vaccine usually administered around the 12 week mark, distemper vaccine maybe around 8 weeks I think. My preferred flea meds of choice for cats would be Frontline Plus, it recommends it's use for cats and kittens 8 weeks or older (so your kittens are far too young yet). I like this product because it kills fleas, flea eggs, ticks and chewing lice. As long as you give your cats proper medical care, spay/neuter and give them some sort of shelter to get out of the weather elements, you can have outdoor cats. Spaying and neutering of course is very important to reduce cat population but also, male cats will fight and end up with abscesses that can be painful and costly to take care of. Good luck to you. [​IMG]

9. salt and pepper

Oh, I know they are't spayed, and don't have their shots, We have already made an appointment when they are older. We also use frontline on our existing pets.

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't think its mean to have outside cats if they are spayed/neutered and not just thrown out in the middle of winter. I am not all that crazy about how they kill wild native birds, but I would rather see happy outside cats that won't breed than cats being euthanized in a shelter!

Cats can be spayed pretty young. Recently, there's been a lot of talk about how spaying cats young is becoming more preferred, but I haven't looked at all the research yet. (I have another two years until I spay a cat in school, so what I've heard is what I've gathered from talking with one of the professors who runs a bunch of spay and neuter clinics for barn cats and ferals.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by