Need help with Labor Day Lunch!! Smoking question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ekemily, Sep 5, 2010.

1. ekemily

ekemily Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I don't know if this is in the right place or not. I have one roo too many and need to cull a very small and pathetic looking barred rock roo.
    I want to smoke him, but I don't want to go through the trouble of all of the plucking.
    My question is, can I smoke a skinless chicken?
    If so, what do I do? Rub it with olive oil or butter?
    Thanks!!!

2. ekemily

ekemily Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Are there any chefs out there?

3. damselfish

damselfish Songster

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Probably everyone is away making Labor Day lunch! I'd just rub it with flavorings, maybe butterfly it out for slightly faster cooking, and go for it!

4. buggie

buggie In the Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Rub it with a little olive oil and sprinkle a little lemon pepper on it mmmmmmmm. Be careful because it will be done quicker than with the skin on but enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  5. FowlDelights

FowlDelights In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Elgin, Tx
    Yes you can smoke it, but be careful of how much wood you use. I usually use fruit wood or pecan, because they don't have a heavy impact on the meat. Two small pieces should be enought to penatrate a nice smoke flavor. Don't use mesquite or hickory unless you like a sharper wood flavor. The fat on the chicken (or other meats) helps keep the meat moist so be aware of that. You can take a small cloth/towel and soak it in a solution (butter/oil concoction of your choice) and cover the chicken to help prevent drying out about half way or more through the cooking process. Depends on how smoky you like your food.

Good luck.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    IF you are worried about it drying out due to being skinless, you can wrap thick bacon all around it. this imparts a nice smokey taste and keeps the meat from drying out by self basting.

7. ekemily

ekemily Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Thank you all for your input! All of your ideas are great. I hadn't thought of the bacon idea! Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by