Need help with lice

ClemsonAg

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 24, 2014
I have 4 hens and was checking over them today and found what I assume is poultry lice. Can anyone confirm this and give me some ideas on treatments/ prevention. Here is a picture. I don't care solely about holistic stuff. I'm looking for something the works the best. Here's a picture of the culprit.

I use ivermectin to rid mine of lice and mites.i mix one part ivermectin to two parts water and use a small art paint brush and paint the skin on the back under each wing and circle the vent. This method works wonderfully for me. Their are many different methods but I've had great success with this. I repeat treatment in 11 days.

Last edited:
One of my girls was attacked by my dog who snuck into the coop. I was comforting her and listening to her breathing, once I knew she was ok I put her in the nesting box. Shortly after I could feel something in my hair, I found two little bugs, they were light brownish in colour I am assuming they are lice or mites.
I live in Canada where it is now -13c with lots of snow. I only have 3 girls in a small coop, what should I do?

How long after I apply sevin dust should I wait to eat eggs? Does it matter?

Back
Top Bottom