1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help with making an emergancy bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sillystunt, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Ok, so this is the score

I was sent 16 silkie eggs. My babtor is full and lockdown is the 22nd.

Can i make one with a cooler, light and water bowl?? I would just need to use it until the 25th. Or do you think it won't work and should just drive up and put them in a friends??? I see ones made but wonder if i need the thermostat? I was thining bulb with maybe a dimmer??

Anyone, anyone BUELLER BUELLER

2. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    If you decide not to do it with a thermostat you're going to have to keep a very close eye on the temp. From what I've heard about hatching silkies I don't think those are the eggs to do that with.

I have heard that you can get a thermostat as cheap as $8 at Home Depot or Lowes. I think they are replacement parts for hot water heaters.

So if you can get the lightbulb and the thermostat I think you should be OK. Speckledhen has a great design linked in her signature.

Plans and wiring etc.

Good luck!!!

Laney

3. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:SCORE! I am running to the depot ! I could use it as a hatcher in the future so it will get used!

4. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    My bator is controlled with a dimmer, the rheostat I ordered is a week late now so I started this batch with the dimmer. Will be calibrating the rheostat as soon as it gets here and plugging the bator light into it once it's ready.
    You have to check it often, like every hour or so because it can creep one way or the other really fast. I had major problems with the first hatch but only about 10% of that was dimmer related. Once you hit a sweet spot it's fine until the room conditions change, like warming up/cooling down outside or the AC switching into a lower/higher temp program

5. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    ok, so i got a dimmer and 60 watt bulb. Also some other gadgets for it. I will only need it for one week so after that i will make it my hatcher. I was gonna get a fan but opted not to. I swear i saw one on Ebay really cheap so i will try to get that. I figure i have a day or so. If i fail , i will run them up to kelly's house.

Keep you all posted

6. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    If you have an old aquarium heater around you can scrounge the thermostat out of that. I just built my bator using an aquarium heater thermostat and it works great. Electric heaters are another place you can scrounge one from.

7. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    i also am gonna take apart a curling iron cause someone said you can use that as well. [​IMG]

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Quote:Ant a dimmer an a rheostat the same thing?

9. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:Ant a dimmer an a rheostat the same thing?

[​IMG]

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I'm pretty sure a cheep light dimmer an a rheostat are exactly the same thing. The pricey new dimmers work differently an are not rheostats but they do the same thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by