Need help with MG (or CRD). Is it in eggs??

GracefulBantams

Hatching and Showing
13 Years
Oct 10, 2007
Oklahoma
I just received this message from someone I got hatching eggs from (edited to remove personal information):

Right after I'd sent your eggs, one of my hens [of a different breed's] eyes swelled up and she sneezed. I freaked out and called my local vet who referred me to the state vet, who came out that afternoon and took some saliva samples and blood samples from her and a few other birds. The next day, she was back to normal and I thought maybe she tried to eat a bee or something - she's not the brightest bulb in the box. The results just came back MG (or CRD)! Even if I treat my flock, they will be carriers for life and MG can be passed from the hen to the egg. I've made the decision to eradicate my flock and start over.
hit.gif

The vet was able to trace the source to a trio I had bought at a swap April 18th. I quarantined them and they never showed signs of illness, but being carriers, they gave it to my birds. I feel absolutely sick over all this!

Basically, any hatching eggs I have sold after April 18th is potentially infected with MG and I think you should take them out of the incubator and not allow them to hatch to prevent the possibility of spreading this to your flock. It's not 100% that it passes to the egg, but I wouldn't take the chance. I'll [refund] you. I'm so, so sorry to have to tell you this news, but if the situation were reversed, I'd want someone to tell me.

I'm just devastated and I'm so sorry about the eggs!

So, what do you all think I should do??????

Absolutely you need to act thourghly and quickly

*****do away with all eggs in the incubator as MG is very serious and what ever you do disinfect the incubator very good immediately
she was kind enough to tell you and that is important
****so do away with all in the incubator as your flock will get it from you taking it on your hands or clothes or shoes to the chicken house so
use some kind of tray to pour clorox in and step into it before going to the chicken house

Info on MG here read it carefully as your whole flock depends on you taking action and destroying what eggs are in the incubator hopefully there is not chicks as they will be infected also.

Here is some good information on MG

Mycoplasm is not a serious problem to the fancy unless you also have other diseases in your flock. Mortality is a little higher and egg production is decreased, but your flock will survive it.

This is the main
reason that nearly all purebred backyard flocks have mycoplasm. Once you have it you can't really get rid of it unless you are willing to disinfect your property and treat all your birds with a strong
antibiotic. Baytril seems to work, but all it takes is for one bird to retain the mycoplasm and you have it
again.

Nearly all fancy breed birds that I have tried to bring in, test positive for mycoplasm either MS or MG
or both. So if you do manage to clean up your flock you have to quarantine, test and clean up any bird
before you introduce it into your flock.

You test for it by sending a blood sample to your state testing lab and ask for the mycoplasm MS and MG test. To test whether your birds are clean if they have already had mycoplasm and been treated with antibiotics, the antibody test will still test positive.

You have to do a more expensive PCR swab
test to tell you if you have been successful. Your state lab may not do this test, and you will have to look around for someone that will.

The best way to clean up your flock would be a generational replacement. You clear all your old birds
out and disinfect the pens. You raise the new chicks at a clean facility and treat them with Baytril
imediately after hatch. We did this for two lines treating around 600 total chicks and it worked.

Even though their parents had mycoplasm, none of the chicks tested positive after treatment for 8 days on Baytril. We used twice the recommended dosage (check with a vet) and treated the chicks with vitamin and electrolytes after the 8 day treatment.

READ THIS GOOD
Mycoplasm is transferred through the egg at a low frequency (1% to 10%). The older the bird the lower
the frequency, but all it takes is one infected chick and the entire brooder gets infected, and as long as
you have infected birds on your property the other birds are bound to get it eventually.

I wouldn't worry about it unless other diseases are a problem in your flock. Mycoplasm weakens the bird, but it doesn't weaken most birds enough for people to work hard to erradicate it. Commercial birds are free of it because any decrease in viability and egg production is a decrease in profits, but most backyard flocks aren't managed for maximum production. Commercial breeders would be happy if the fancy erradicated mycoplasm so that it would infect their birds less often.

Thank you.
You do realize that the eggs I purchased were not even from the same breed infected with MG, and also my eggs were shipped on 5-1 and the infected bird only entered this person's property on 4-18... so was there even time for the eggs to be contaminated???

then given you feel comfortable with keeping all of them do so
it is your farm and chickens I just gave my humble opinion anmd it is your flock to do with as you wish
if you are comfortable with it then it is okay by me
hopefully it will trun out okay

I do know how MG is bad and will cause a lot of heart ache if and when the chickens get it
just my iponion have a good day

I do hope that you will evade the MG
as it can be carried in recovered birds for yrs
and then when they are sold to some one who has never had it all will be infected with ion 10 days to three weeks after getting infected birds

the MG birds will live after recovery and you would not realize they have MG
but it is passed to all eggs in the incubator from infected eggs
and the fact that the lady did not know that her hens had it causes me to feel she passed it on to the egg shells as she gathered them and carried it on her feet or clothes to the other hens
just my experience with the MG
hopefully as she remitted the money for the eggs your not out any thing but time

so do disinfect the incubator good
you might want to call Smith Poultry Supplies and ask them what they sell for incubation disinfecting

Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply

14000 W. 215th St., Bucyrus, KS 66013-9519

Ph. 913-879-2587 - 7:30 A. M. - 3 P. M CST Monday-Friday

24-hour Fax. 913-533-2497

Minimum order $10.00.

so you can disinfect your incubator before setting another setting of eggs

Yeah unless I need to deystroy all the eggs , if I just need to get rid of hers shure I wont lose anything but poor little embryos but if I have to cull all my eggs then Im out ALOT of money
hmm.png

Thats why I asked if the eggs can transfer MG to other eggs , is it safe to keep the other non related eggs from diffrent places or not

Back
Top Bottom