Need help with mixing a "flock"

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cohl0406, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Cohl0406

Cohl0406 Chirping

May 29, 2014
    So I have found out one of my marans is a roo. I have to get rid of him. :-(

My only option is to get a buff orfington. I want to know if it's possible to mix these?

I only have one maran and will only get one orfington. My maran is probably 2 months old. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. I also have to find out where to give my roo maran too. I want him to live a good life.

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    You mean mixing those two breeds? Yeah, that's totally fine! Maybe you could give your roo to a sanctuary.

3. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I think those two breeds would get along perfectly fine. Orpingtons are really nice (in my opinion) and you should have no problem with them co-existing. Sorry you have to part with your roo.

4. Hanna8

Hanna8 Songster

Jan 26, 2012
    Mixing breeds is no problem. I recommend introducing the new bird slowly. Keep it in a cage or pen at first so they can get to know each other through the bars. When they are comfortable with each other's presence, start letting them out to free range together if you let your birds do that. From there just increase the amount of time they spend together until they are living together 24/7. A little pecking is expected to establish the pecking order, but is usually nothing to worry about. Good luck!

5. Cohl0406

Cohl0406 Chirping

May 29, 2014
    I'm thinking I want to wait it out and see if he is really a he? :( I was also told these chicks where marans but the more I look into it the more they look like barred rocks. :/ I was also told you could tell their sex by their color at birth but it's looking like since they were the wrong breed that's not true?? [​IMG]

These are my "gals" starsky and hutch lol (don't let your husband name animals)

6. Hanna8

Hanna8 Songster

Jan 26, 2012
    Yeah, sadly it is pretty common for misinformation to be spread. Usually it is ignorance, but people will sometimes do it purposefully to get rid of unwanted roosters, knowing their customers don't know better. I have learned the hard way to thoroughly research the breed I want before I go to buy it, so I do get what I actually wanted.

The good news is that marans can be barred, so there is every chance that that is what they are. You may just have to wait until you get an egg to know for sure. There is no harm in waiting to see if you have a roo or not. You should go ahead and start looking for a home for him/her now, just in case, since roosters can be hard to rehome.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  7. Cohl0406

Cohl0406 Chirping

May 29, 2014
    I think I will do that. They are only about 2 months old. So I was told to expect eggs around Christmas. I really like them and the lighter one has been my favorite of the 2 ever since s/he was a chick because of the personality. I'm already looking but this is a small town so it's hard to find places ironically.

I got them from a feed store. They sell them like crazy around here. They have an order of buff orfingtons in right now that someone ordered then didn't want. I'm thinking I should go grab one incase I have to get rid of hutch if s/he is really a he so starsky and the newbie and get to know each other. Plus there will be a big age difference.

Now I'm sad. Let hope hutch lays eggs in the months to come!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: