1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with my 3 weeks old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TyKay, Mar 22, 2017.

1. TyKay

TyKay New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    Edmundston, NB
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Hi! I'm new from New Brunswick, Canada. We just got are first batch of chicks 2 weeks ago. My chicks are 3 weeks old today. For a few days now, I have one that doesn't seem to be able to stand up for a long period. It eats, drinks, poops, scratches around like they others. But it won't stay up too long. It will even lay on it's stomach to eat and scratch in the wood shavings. It's bright eyed, nothing seems to be wrong with it except the laying around. It's the smallest of all the chicks. It's legs are straight. They other ones don't pick on it etheir. Can you help me? Thanks in advance!!
    P.S. In the second photo, it's the one on the right.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would keep watching the legs for any abnormalities every couple of days, but I would put chick vitamins in the water. Some products such as Poultry Cell also contain trace minerals which can be helpful. Ar you feeding a good fresh chick grower feed? Until you get the vitamins, I would crush and dissolve 1/2 human B Complex vitamin in a liter of their water daily.

3. TyKay

TyKay New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    Edmundston, NB
    Yes, they are on organic chick starter (non medicated). I will try to add some vitamin to their water to see if it helps. Thanks!

4. TyKay

TyKay New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    Edmundston, NB
    Does anyone know what kind it is by chance?

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    It looks to be a Black Australorp. I do hope the little one does start getting stronger.

Eggcessive gave good advice as usual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by