Need help with my baby chicks please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoccerMomof7, Mar 25, 2009.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I have 12 baby chicks that I hatched myself, they were doing fine but now some have very runny poo. I have even had a couple get pasty butts, but I don't understand why. They hatched this weekend and I have been cleaning their water twice aday and cleaning their cage while they were on paper towels about 4 times aday. I put them on shavings just a little bit ago because it was getting too much with the paper towels. What should I do for them?

2. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Mine were like that the first week too and then their poop seemed to get more solid in about a week. I think they are just getting their digestive system worked out. I am no expert but I would say as long as they are eating and drinking and seem happy that they are fine. The ones I have now are 2 weeks old today and sometimes once in a while there will be a watery poop. Hope that helps. [​IMG]

3. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    oh forgot to also add....that if they are getting pasty butt just wipe off the clumps with wet paper towel or I even had to pull off some clumps which accidentaly takes off some down feathers but it stays clean after that.

4. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I had problems with pasty on 3 of mine, so I got organic polenta from the health food section of my store, mixed it 50/50 and it stopped. Also I've been told it tends to end in about a week anyway, but the corn seemed to really help. I made sure I gave mine grit with the corn just to be safe. One woman posted to carefully clip around their bums and then there's not much to stick too which also helped. The fuzz grows back quickly [​IMG]

5. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Just watch them. They can get runny poo if they are drinking a lot. If you don't have a thermometer in the brooder get one in there, because you should keep track of the temperature.

I'm sure they are fine. Wash the pasty butt, and watch the rest, and relax. With little chicks it is easier to harm them trying to help, than kill them off by natural means.

Case in point: I accidentally dropped the brooder lamp on mine. The whole darn thing. I was horrified. I picked up the one it sqashed flattest and cried. It wiggled and peeped. I replaced the brooder lamp, and held it a while crying because I had killed it. But could't bring myself to put it out of it's misery. After a while it stood up shook itself and started crying to it's buddies. I put it back in the brooder and it is fine. Truly fine- you can't tell it from the others.

They are extremely fragile, and yet, sturdier than you'd ever guess, both at the same time. A real enigma.

6. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    I saw somewhere on this forum that you aren't supposed to pull the poo off because you can pull thier insides out... be careful!!!

7. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Quote:Ouch, I have been using a warm wet washcloth and very grossly and slowly wiping the poo off. [​IMG] Believe me this morning I didn't have the stomach for it.

8. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Sometimes I'm thankful I'm a nurse [​IMG] makes cleaning runny poo a lot easier [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by