Need help with my baby duckling.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thealy421, Mar 7, 2013.

1. thealy421

thealy421 New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Last night I noticed one of my baby ducklings just laying around. When I picked it up, it was wet and shaking. I guess he got wet from his water dish and I didn't realize that he was wet. I took him out and dried him off and wrapped him up in a towel to try to warm him up. Eventually he dried and stopped shaking, so I put him in another container separated from the other baby ducks because I didn't want the other ducks to step all over him. He/she is eating and drinking water but doesn't seem to have the energy to stand up. When I pick it up, it can move its legs but doesn't stand up. What could be wrong? I read that when they get waterlogged that sometimes it makes them not be able to move, if that's the case, how long will it take for it to get better or is there something else wrong with it?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If it had hypothermia, that could have really shaken it up, poor thing.

Ducklings can get themselves into the most surprising trouble, you did the right thing warming it up and separating it.

Do you have anything like gro-gel or sav-a-chick? I feel that vitamins with electrolytes may help. How warm is it in the brooder and where he is now? You may just have a little one who needs some extra TLC.

How old are they? what are they eating? If it's chick starter, Little may need more niacin than he or she is getting, and so niacin capsules dissolved in water - 100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon of water - can help.

Not the special no-flush or time-release niacin, just plain niacin capsules from the drugstore are what is recommended for ducklings.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. thealy421

thealy421 New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    I have been keeping them in my bathroom in a plastic tote with pine bedding since I got them last friday. The bathroom is so small, when I close the door it heats up the bathroom pretty well. I don't know the temp under the heat lamp, I guess I should get a thermometer and check. I do not have anything like grow-gel or sav-a-chick but now that I know, I will go to tractor supply first thing in the morning to get some. Thank you so much for the suggestion! I really appreciate it, I didn't know what else to do but with your help I at least have something to try. You might be right about him needing a little TLC, I forgot to mention that he was the smaller one out of the six that I got. Thanks again.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, a thermometer is a great tool. Some people keep their ducklings too warm, accidentally, so I like to be sure. They need to be able to move to a cooler part of the brooder. Now, you know, some ducklings aren't going to do what's best for them. That's why we watch. Just keep close tabs on Little (I know that's not the name, but it seems more personal than just "it"), and do what you can.

5. thealy421

thealy421 New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    What should be the ideal temp under the lamp? I think Little is a good name, it suits! Thanks

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    90* for the first week, lower by 5* each additional week. This is a basis not an exact.

7. thealy421

thealy421 New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Thanks

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    thealy421, thanks for joining us here on the Duck Forum. [​IMG]

9. thealy421

thealy421 New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    I'm glad I did. Everyone's reply has been greatly appreciated.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just reading this thread but wondering how Little is doing tonight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by