Need help with my Brinsea Mini Advance!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sphinx, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I am really hoping someone here can help me. I bought a Brinsea Mini Advance used. They didn't have the box or directions, so I've looked up the PDF for instructions. Then stuck some eggs under it.

It seems like it's holding it's temperature perfectly. However, I'm pretty sure the egg turner isn't working. I put x on each egg so I could monitor that and they don't seem to be moving at all. The / thing in the bottom corner does move around, and it's set to "automatic". I think I have it set to 45 minutes, and angle (?) of 15. I've hand turned them by moving the moveable plate in the bottom.

I take the lid off to look at the gear thing, and it's not moving. I've gently tried to work it to see if it will move, and it doesn't, but i haven't been at all forceful because I don't want to break anything.

2. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Alot of modern incubators rock the egg instead of turning it, it'll roll it one way then roll it back the other in the same turn. Don't know if thats true of this incubator in particular, but type 'mini advance' or 'brinsea advance' in the search bar on here and it will take you to any previous topics on that. Sometimes it helps just reading all the things other people have put, you might stumble on the answer. Good luck. [​IMG]

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Are you sure you have the tray in right? I had one of those and I put the turning tray in upside down. The gears worked, but nothing moved. Flipped it and it worked great.

4. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I believe so- the tray is the part with the slight holes for the eggs to sit in, with the gear type edges, right?

The one way has these pie shaped wedges sort of thing up. That's how I had it. Like this:

[​IMG]

For giggles, I flipped it over, but this just doesn't seem right.

[​IMG]

I also wonder if it's possible it's missing parts?

It's got the flat base. Then, on top of that, is the tray with the pie shaped wedges. Then there's the top part with the machine stuff. And, of course, the power plug. Is there anything else?

5. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    The first way up with the lines showing is the right way. [​IMG]

6. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Yeah, once I put it in the other way, I tried manually twisting the tray around, and the eggs didn't turn like they do the other way, so I flipped them right back.

I noticed the plastic gear that was attached to the motor was all the way flush against the motor, so I took it off, then put it back on, but not all the way. Now I'll hang out and go check again to see if they've moved at all.

If worse comes to worse, I may have my engineer husband take it apart tonight and look it over. I'm sure the broody hen won't mind "babysitting".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by