need help with my brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thechickman04, Mar 3, 2008.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    ok i have these wooden boxes...probably a 2'x4'...it is just wood on all sides with a wooden open up door on top....the top has a hole cut in it that is about 12"x12" ..... if i hang a 250 W light bulb over that hole would it be too warm in the brooder

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

If the crate is completely enclosed...I think it might be too warm. If you dont have babies yet...try it...put a thermometer in there..and leave it for a few days....but check it often! I think if its a closed crate..there wont be any place for the heat to get out. Maybe you could use a 60 watt bulb instead?

3. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    yea i plan on getting it ready tomorrow

4. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Mine is similar size, I have plywood that covers most of the top, just set across the top, and a section of hardware cloth on top as well. I use regular construction clamp lights for the birds I have in there now, two 40 watt bulbs but it is in my heated garage that I keep at about 40 degrees. And they stay warm enough (they are a month old) I would suggest getting a thermometer set it under the heat lamp and see how hot it gets (Don't walk away for too long, I melted one that way in just a couple minutes, no chickens in there thankfully) adjust the height of the light and the size of the bulbs to increase or decrease the temp, if a heat lamp bulb is too much go to 100 watt light bulbs and play with wattages and heights. 250 watts might be too much though, the whole box does not need to be 95 degrees, this gives them a chance to move closer or farther away from the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by