Need Help with my final decision...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Year of the Rooster, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    ok BYC people! I want/need opinions on my FINAL decisions..

First off.... my Chickens! [​IMG] I want 10 and only 10 because thats all I have room for. I plan on getting:

1 EE
    1 BR
    1 Buff Brahma
    1 Australorp
    1 RIR
    2 White silkies
    2 Golden Sebrights (hen and rooster)
    and 1 white leghorn or white rocks. All are hens except for sebrights. What do you think? I need help with deciding on leghorn or WR.

Second, my coop:

I've decided that its either going to be 8x8 or 8x6 depending on IF I get the white leghorn or WR (which I probably will [​IMG]) The run will be AT LEAST 10x10.

And I know ya'll say "Oh, you'll definitely get more.", well... I don't think I will.... I just need to take deeeeeep breaths and I'll be fine [​IMG]

[​IMG] oh who am I kidding ofcourse I'll WANT more... but I won't GET more [​IMG]

2. alyssa558

alyssa558 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    Durham, NC
    I have a red leghorn and a California White, which is a White Leghorn/Black Rock (maybe?) cross. I love them both but the California White has the better personality.

3. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    hmm... Do you know what the leghorn and White Rock personalities are like? Thats what I'm mainly looking for... and egg production [​IMG]

4. alyssa558

alyssa558 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Mine are only seven weeks old! The California White has a better personality, and, according to my internet research will be a much better layer than the red. However, the red is really rare, so that's kind of cool. Personality-wise, I have a Spangled Russian Orloff that is just the sweetest chicken. I also have a Madagascar Games (naked neck) and she is my absolute favorite, both for being the cutest and having a sweet personality. Some of my chicks just run from me (unless I have a treat) but those two never run. I also have a Buff Cornish that is really sweet. I'll let you know about the eggs in a few months!

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Check out this thread and it might help with your decision. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=68936

I absolutely LOVE my White Leghorns. They are sweet, friendly, love to be held and cuddled. Lay eggs like nobody's business....a huge white one every day (even in this heat). If I wasn't so into variety I wouldn't mind having a yard full!!! [​IMG]

6. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Ok thank you! I like variety too so you are not alone [​IMG]

7. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Wow, sound like great birds Alyssa! But I'm getting confused lol You are talking about red leghorns and Cali Whites and thats just confuzing me x_x lol But thanks for the info! [​IMG]

8. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    What are you going to do with the Sebrights? They are bantams and although they can mix with standards I have usually had trouble when I ran bantams with standards.
    I would go with leghorns over the white rocks, they will lay better.
    California whites are a leghorn but they have have some black spots instead of being all white.
    Buck

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    neither the sebrights nore the silkies are good layers cant eat them either cause they are so tiny

10. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Yes, I know that silkies and sebrights aren't good layers or good for eating but I may like to show them in the future.

If the sebrights don't do so well with the standards then I may just build a small 3x3 coop next to the larger one.

But yesterday I went to my county fair and saw some silkies and OMG I WANT THEM EVEN MORE!!! [​IMG]

Thanks for your info [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by