Need help with my homemade incubator. Eggs dying

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mike32, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Mike32

Mike32 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    I have been trying to hatch in my homemade incubator and am having problems. I first thought it might be from low humidity but this time I've kept the humidity around 50%. The problem I am having is that they egg develops to a certain point and then stops. There has not been a temp spike or outage. The chick covers approximately a third of the egg and when I open it it is completely dried, actually looks like it was cooked or something. I thought there may not be enough ventilation so I left the door on the bottom cracked open a little. Is ventilation the culprit? I did hatch 3 a couple months ago from my own eggs but nothing since which have been shipped eggs.I know shipped eggs are hard to hatch but there has to be something incorrect in my bator for them to grow to this point and cook.

I got my design from https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=52303-my-homemade-incubator
    Mine
    is not as nice but the concept is the same. Thanks for your help.

2. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    You might want to check your hydrometer & make sure it is reading right & why your at it check your thermometer to, are you bringing your humidity up on day 18 ?

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:can you post some pics for everyone to look at? they might be able to help you better if they see your version of the incubator. [​IMG]

4. Mike32

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    Quote:I've calibrated all 3 hygrometers but not sure how to check the thermometer. On day 18, I raise the humidity to 70%.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  5. Mike32

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    Quote:can you post some pics for everyone to look at? they might be able to help you better if they see your version of the incubator. [​IMG]

My design looks almost exactly the same except for a bigger glass on the bottom door. I wasn't able to add the holes for venting there because of the glass. I will try to take pictures when I get home tonight.

6. Mike32

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    I was able to take pictures with my phone so they're not very good quality but you can see what it looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by