1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with my injured Black Star...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bixiechicks, Dec 1, 2016.

1. bixiechicks

bixiechicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2016
    Our 7 month old Black star was attacked by a dog a week and a half ago. She suffered injuries on her eye (hasn't opened since) and neck near her ear. We separated her from the others (we have two easter egg chickens and another black star) and hand fed her for a few days. She seemed to perk up and started pecking again, so i tried to put her back with the others. She has since been shunned from the flock and finds a corner of the run and just sits there often burying her head in her feathers. I let her roam in the yard under my watch and that helps a little. We separate her again at night.

Not sure what to do at this point...all new to me. Does her impaired eyesight prevent her from eating? She doesn't seem to eat or drink much in the temporary coop we have her in at night.

Help!

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Tucking there head in there wing is a sign of stress.Keep her isolated with food and water 24/7.You can give her vitamins such as Sav-a-Chick and give her baby aspirin (81mg) to reduce pain.She is acting worse because of the trauma keep her isolated until she gets better.Eye ointment can be used for the eye.Or eye healing for chickens at tractor supply.

3. bixiechicks

Dec 1, 2016
    Thank you so much...I will try it!

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    No problem.

[​IMG]The eye spray will look like this except instead of skin its eye

5. bixiechicks

Dec 1, 2016
    thanks! why do you think the other hens are shunning her? They all used to get along so well!

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    The other hens think she is sick.Sometimes they will kill a infected chicken so the flock doesn't get infected.

7. bixiechicks

Dec 1, 2016
    Oh interesting. When will they let her back in? When sores completely healed? What if that eye doesn't ever open again?
    Thank you for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by