Need Help with my poor silkie

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenNewbie5, May 13, 2010.

1. ChickenNewbie5

ChickenNewbie5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    I received a Silkie pair (rooster/hen) last week, from a family member who didn't realize how silkies work and had gotten them at a swap.
    This pair is starting to venture out a bit farther, but is really very sweet and very easy to handle. She just didn't realize they don't wander
    far or at all etc. and didn't want to have to really handle her chickens. [​IMG]

Anyway, I am a new chicken owner, and knew right away that these poor silkies weren't very well taken care of. There are feathers missing from both of the tops of their heads. Their feet have missing feathers at their toes and some toes are even missing. Despite all of that, they are doing well. Starting to follow us around a bit and the rooster is talking up a storm. Well, yesterday, when we went to go feed all of the animals, we noticed that Mr. Fufu was not walking on one of his legs. He seemed to want to bear weight on it, but was painful. My question is, since we don't know a whole lot about their history, what can cause these poor toes to be MISSING? Can I trim their claws? They are over grown and look painful to me, OR is that the way Roosters/Hens claws are? They are just starting to scratch and I have NO idea what could be wrong with his leg. There isn't any sign of trauma. They are the only full grown chickens we have. The chicks we have are only 7 days old.

What can I do for them, to get them looking like the wonderful animals they are? Silkies are supposed to be beautiful, and these guys are just cute lol. Any, idea what could be wrong? Is it fixable?

Thanks
    Chandi

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! (What a cute name--Mr. Fufu! LOL) Anyhow, you can definitely trim their nails, I would still watch out for the quick......I can't believe they have toes missing! Poor things! Are the feet healed where the toes are missing? No signs of infection?

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Can you get pics of their feet to post here. Several things can cause feather loss...mites for example. They are tiny tiny little bugs that get on their skin. The foot problem could be caused from an infection, an open sore, tender flesh or a staph type infection called Bumblefoot.

Pics would really really help, especially of the foot that is giving him trouble...the top of it, the bottom of it and etc.

Poor babies.

4. ChickenNewbie5

ChickenNewbie5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    I will try and get pictures now [​IMG]

Can I do mobile uploads here??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by