Need help with my R-Com 20 ASAP

tebs78

Songster
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
Okay, so my husband bought me an R-Com 20 for xmas. I turned it on and let it run over night to try and see where the temp/humidity readings were. I put a digital thermometer/humidity reading and a regular one and both read that my r-com reads at 99.5 and my two thermometers read 97ish. IT WON'T let me calibrate it lower. It will only let me set the temp higher so I can't calibrate it correctly and its really irritating me. The humidity is hard because both my readers read different from each other. My r-com was reading REALLY low at first saying it was only at 15% and my first humidity reader (sorry don't know the proper name) said it was like up in the 70%. So I calibrated it down and it seems to be more accurate now.

So should I just set my temp two degrees higher on the r-com so it is right, or can some one enlighten me on how to calibrate it accurately. How do I get accurate humidity readings? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY appreciated!

PS I have some eggs due to arrive Thursday.

sorry I re-read what I wrote. My R-Com read 99.5 as the temp but my two thermometers were reading two degrees lower in the 97-98 range! HELP

Are you sure the thermometers are right? Try a human thermometer those tend to be more correct. There are a few people on here with R-coms. Hopefully they repley.

I think I would trust the R-com reading. I have so many thermometers and hygrometers and they all read something different. The R-Com may be taking the reading at a different point than your therms. There can be a few degrees difference depending on where the thermometer is placed. The R-com is pretty well designed and it should have things right. You can always call the mfgr or seller. I have found tech support people are very helpful. They sell a pretty expensive piece of equipment and want to have happy customers and good feedback.

Hello, I'm new to this forum but not new to incubating. I got an R-Com 20 for Xmas too. And I found out that it can only be temp calibrated when set to Celcius. Sounds like you've got it in Fahrenheit. Switch to Celcius, calibrate up or down, then set it back to Fahrenheit. Hope this helps.

jimnjay, you have to calibrate the R-COM before you use it the first time. Mine was about 20 degrees off in temperature and 15% or so humidity.

IT WON'T let me calibrate it lower.

Yes, you do have to calibrate. But I had the exact SAME problem as OP. Would not let me calibrate lower in F. Only in C. Worked great after I figured that out.​

I posted on the other post but here is the info again. Let me know if you need more help.

Have you calibrated it already a couple of time? If so it decreases the range of calibration. So you have to be careful or you'll have to reset it to factory setting and start from there. To just calibrate make sure you let the r-com run for 30 minutes then take a reading. Then lower it to 20% humidity and let it run for 30 minutes and take a second reading. See if your hygrometer is reading the same. If not make your adjustments. BUT make SURE your Hygrometer is correct. I put a couple in when testing. If you have recalibrated it several times and now the range doesn't adjust to what you need it to read then you have to reset the machine to factory settings. To do that just unplug the r-com and hold the set button down while plugging it back in it then release the set button. You will see it say something like reset or re cal on the display. Then let it run for 30 minutes and take your reading. You should be able to recalibrate it then plus reset your temps. If you don't get it the first time just reset it again I had to do it 3 times to make sure I did it right. Now it runs great I had recalibrated it wrong when I did the homemade salt water test. I bought the humidity bags from the cigar store and then had to reset my machine to read correct. Let me know if you need more help. Same thing goes for the temps too let it run for 30 minutes before making any adjustments

Quote:
Did you hold a Brinsea rep at gunpoint to get this information?
tongue.png
You'd think they'd put it in the instruction manual, although I do love reading that thing for entertainment. Maybe they'll revise it and have someone who speaks English competently do the writing, like you'd expect with a $400 incubator.

Back
Top Bottom