1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEED HELP WITH MY ROOSTER! PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Georgia Nana, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Georgia Nana

Georgia Nana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    I raised 3 silkie chicks from one day old. They ALL started crowing last week, so I returned 2 of them to the breeder in exchange for 4 babies about 2 months old. After about 3 days side by side "getting to know each other", I let him into their pen. Wrong move! He went into attack mode with intent to Kill! I took him out thinking that the babies were too young. No harm done, but I have a BIG PROBLEM.

He is not eating enough chicken food to stay healthy! I am giving him treats which he may or may not eat. I spend a lot of time with him, but he is sad. Last night I put a red sex link pullet his same size and age in his pen. He immediately attacked her viciously...not your normal "pecking order" fight. Took her out.

Does anyone have any suggestions? He is not aggressive toward me at all...I thought he was a sweetheart, but evidently his gentle nature does not extend to his own kind!
    Please share your expertise with me!

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Maybe you can just move his pen by the other chickens' pens so he doesn't get lonely and can see the others. That way, another chicken might take a shine to him.

3. Georgia Nana

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    His pen is adjacent to the little ones' pen. He paces back and forth making the chuckling noise that if I didn't know better, would be chicken talk for "I love you. Let's be friends". The laying flock is further back on the property, and I Could move him to the broody pen which is adjacent, but I have a Large Ameracauna Roo who is very protective of his girls, and can fly in and out of the pen at will. I'm scared to do that. I'm thinking that I might take 2 of my "No Nonsense" hens, clip their wings (his pen is not tall) and let them put him in his place!

If they beat him up, will it damage his libido for life??

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That sounds exactly like one of my cockerels... A few months ago, he would constantly try to get at some pullets. But as soon as he reached them, he would brutally attack them! Not mate, just lunge at and attack. He was just completely ungentlemanly. Since then, he's "grown up", and no longer attacks at first sight. But he still is unpredictable; one second he's calmly standing beside a hen, the next second he's sharply pecked her on the head and is trying to mate her. [​IMG]

I have a feeling that your cockerel is much the same way, and will mature with age. It is worrying that he isn't eating well, though. I think that, if I were in your situation, I would try putting a few "big girls" in with him. Yes, they'll probably give him a good thrashing, but once he's learned his place, there will be no more trouble with them for a while. Just watch him carefully, and separate them if he (or them, I suppose) appears to be getting seriously injured. Letting your other rooster show him who was boss isn't a bad idea, either. Young birds will almost always submit to older birds.

5. Georgia Nana

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    Boy, does that make me feel better! Silkie "Buddy" is better today...not pacing as much, and eating his scratch and treats and a little food. He seems much more content, and the babies that are in the adjacent pen are happy, too!

I am new to Silkies. He is one of the 3 original babies that I raised (all Roos!). DH says that I am overreacting and that I should just give him time to adjust to being without his buddies. I hesitate to put hens with him because they are Standard laying hens. Although he is a large cockerel, he would be no match for them! If he continues to go downhill, I will not hesitate to try a "companion" for him, though! I will put a couple of Delawares in with him for long enough for it to be a fight where someone is injured, or he calms down and decides that he can be a productive member of the Silkie community. It will be weeks before his Silkie buddies can be merged, and I would really like for him to be calmer by that time. He's my baby, and I don't want to have to cull him! Thanks so much for taking the time to give me your input! Still trying to figure this chicken stuff out!
    [​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You're welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by