Need help with my sweet Dellie **video added**

kmwright

Songster
9 Years
Jun 24, 2010
Winters, CA
I know this doesn't really belong here, but I'm going to ask anyway. I looked on the injury/emergencies board, and there was a long thread about what my girl is doing. She's having a hard time walking, like her legs are partially paralyzed. She'll just sit back on her haunches and when she tries to preen herself, she'll lose balance and fall over. She eats and drinks fine, is acting fine, really it's just her legs that are the problem.

I'm not sure if the Dellies are just a large breed, but I notice that she is much larger than the Barred Rocks that are her same age. Is it maybe all her weight that's causing this? Probably not....but I am just not sure what's wrong with my sweet girl. I started giving her vitamin B-12 complex today (the liquid form) and I'm trying to isolate her as much as I can. When I put her by herself, she cries reeeeeally loud, and all the other girls come running and they all pitch a fit together. This stinks!

Any advice? I feel so horrible and helpless, my poor sweet girl.
sad.png

Last edited:
My Lizzie had a similar problem. I think my roo got overexcited with her and sprained her back. I did isolate her and spoiled her rotten with scrambled egg and Poly Vi Sol. She is a good layer and I didn't want to lose her - it took several months before she was up and running again, but she is not totally the same - she still rests a lot and walks a little funny. But she is happy, she can run, and she lays 6 out of 7 days.

If you cab spend some time with your girl to keep her company, or put a quiet friend with her, I would get her in a smaller spot where she can't move so much. She needs to stay still to let it heal. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom