Need help with new chick - Pictures added

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bookspryte, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Bookspryte

Bookspryte Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    One of my chicks that were born last night seemed to have a lot of egg yolk stuck on it. For a long time, I thought it was going to die, but it's up and moving around with its two siblings. My question is that one of the wings appears to be glued to its side with the goopy stuff. When I take it out of the incubator, is it safe to wash it to get all of that off, or just allow the other chicks to pick it off?

Here's a picture of what s/he looked like last night when I was so worried:
    [​IMG]

This chick is about half the size of the other two. Do I need to worry about it getting picked on?

This is what Peanut looked like a few minutes ago.
    [​IMG]

ETA: I finally had to take the other two chicks out because they were attacking Peanut and a chick that was trying hatch. Who knew chicks could be so vicious. They're in a temporary brooder and are eating, drinking and pooping. All is well with them.

The new chick is also drying off quite nicely.

Is it safe for me to clean the gunk off Peanut or just let her go? She's such a little fighter, I want to do everything I can to save her.

Thanks for your help.

Denise

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Cleaning it feels Okay to me. I think you should use your gut instinct. Just make sure its warm water, in front of a heater and do it fast and gentle and get him warm right after. I don't think there is any possible way to learn everything exactly right from any book. I have read a lot of things published about raising chickens and a lot of what I have learned, was on my own.

3. Bookspryte

Bookspryte Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    After nearly four days of worrying and three baths, it seems that little Peanut is looking more and more like a regular fuzzy butt. She and her cohort in crime, Popcorn, are currently residing in a separate brooder because they had issues with dried yolk covering them and got picked on by the other four chicks.

I have found one downside to hatching in an egg carton. After spending her first few hours outside of the egg unable to climb out of the egg carton, it appears that Peanut now believes the carton (which is being used as disposable feeders) are also the place to catch a snooze.

I'll post pics when I get home and can get a few up-to-date shots.

Thanks for everyone who offered moral support and advice.

Denise (and the Cracker Jack twins)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by