Need help with new winter coop and run setup-Pole Barn Style

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MTchickenguy, Sep 18, 2012.

1. MTchickenguy

MTchickenguy New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    Hey guys and gals,

I'm going to move my flock into my three sided pole barn for the winter. I'm wanting to have two separate coops and runs so i can rotate my flock of 7 back and forth. I have looked at tons of designs on here and I just cant make up my mind. My currents setup is in a run that is 10' x 20'. It is free standing and will catch a lot of wind which is ok for the warm months but definitely not ok for this coming Montana winter. The area in my pole barn is also 10' x 20'. I have enough scrap lumber to build another coop but I need some ideas from you more experienced chicken herders. Thanks in advance for your help.

[​IMG]
    These are the original 5 that I was given. 1 RIR rooster, 2 RIR hens and 2 Buff Orpingtons. I recently acquired 3 more, 1 Mean soon to be soup pot rooster, and 2 hens. All 3 of which I am unsure of their breed. I just discovered chicken saddles so these bareback hens will be getting those this week so they can prep for the winter.

[​IMG]
    I had to move an old Willy's jeep out of this section. Then I added the horizontal boards and chicken wire. I live out of town so varmints aren't a problem that I can't solve should they ever try anything. The front will have a 10' wide chain link gate panel. I also plan on adding wire all the way to the roof.

[​IMG]
    Kind of a bad picture but these are the roosts for during the day. I will be adding poop boards to collect for my gardens.

[​IMG]
    This is a picture of my newest ******* rooster and his ladies in my newly built holding pen. He's gotta go. I can't even water them without him coming at me. The other hen is almost black with white specks. If you could tell me what they are that would be awesome too.

Anyways I'd really appreciate some input on the new run and coop setup. Thanks and have a great day.

2. MTchickenguy

MTchickenguy New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    Ready for the roof and plywood. Do you guys think I should put a window on the front of it?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by