Need help with newbies to old flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gjohns77, Jun 27, 2010.

1. gjohns77

gjohns77 New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    How do I introduce new hens or chickens to my old flock. this flock is my first run with chickens, and am new at this myself. I reciently got a new Rooster (about 4 weeks old) to add to my hens, ( have 10 hens) about 7 weeks old, the hens are constently fighting with him. easiest way to explain what they are doing to him is, a new kid in school with everyone being bullies.... the hens about shredded his tail feathers, and are constently fighting with him, he is a loaner and just likes to hang out in a corner of the run, but they seek him out to fight. right now he is in a pen next to theirs where they can see each other, and all is calm, they go to the fence next to him and just ignore him. does anyone have any ideas to help. thanks

2. Dr HaHa

Dr HaHa Grinning Chicken Lips

Feb 11, 2009
    Nekoosa Wi.
    Think your doing the right thing by seperating them but keeping then within eyeshot. When he's as big as they are he will take over and rule the roost. I'm doing the same with year old and 6 week old hens. After 2 weeks seperated but in the same coop I have been letting them sleep in the coop together. It seems to have worked still a little aggression by the big girls but nothing too bad. Have heard that the older ones will peck a younger one to death so keep an eye on them when their together. Good luck!

3. gjohns77

gjohns77 New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    ok, thanks for the info, hope it works out for him and he starts kicking some butt in there.. lol [​IMG]

4. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    You're doing the right thing, when he gets older he will run the flock. I've introduced two sets of chicks to the flock in the past two months and the youngest are picked on quite a bit but things are getting better day to day...I have 4 adult hens, 7 15 week olds and 8 12 week old pullets. I kept each set of chicks caged within sight of the older birds for at least 3 weeks before letting the young ones venture out with the old ones. At first they are picked on but as time goes on they start to settle down when everyone knows where they stand in the pecking order.

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I agree with your current plan; pen up the boy for his general safety, and wait until he's grown to the same size as the rest of the flock to release him into the population. He will make up for lost time:lau Strutting around, and deciding which hen he loves each day. Those bullying hens will learn who's boss soon enough![​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  6. gjohns77

gjohns77 New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    thanks trunkman, MareeZoCool for the info. [​IMG] glad to know that the will quit picking on him soon...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by