Need help with newborn ducks

angelnavywife

Chirping
Aug 18, 2014
We are farm sitting for friends, and we just found 2 abandoned day old (because there were no ducklings yesterday) muscovy ducklings in their coop. The chickens were attacking them, so we brought them home.
We are raising chicks already, so have the heater, etc but the ducks keep jumping in the water bowl.
Can you walk me through how to keep them alive?
What is different about ducks?

They need unmedicated chick feed and a constant supply of water. They have to wash the food down you see :)

I always wet the food and when I raised chicks with a duckling I provided wet and dry food but even the chicks prefered it wet!

They may need extra niacin( in the form of brewers yeast is best). Just sprinkle it on the top of their food.

Ducks and ducklings are very very messy - you'll need to be clearing up after them several times a day especially if you are keeping them with chicks.

There are some good threads on here that will tell you all about it - search raising ducklings and you'll find a lot of good info.

Oh and welcome to BYC :)

Last edited:
The water bowl needs to be deep enough that they can dunk their entire beaks too btw.
So they can clear their nares.

They won't be waterproof for several weeks so shouldn't be allowed swim time without supervision as they can become waterlogged and drown - their mum would usually preen her oils into them to keep them dry..

There are more differences but they can be successfully raised with chicks so they aren't worlds apart

Last edited:
Then give 'em a smaller water bowl. Simple. I used a peanut butter jar lid full of marbles for Wobs during the first few days. She can get her bill in but she can't get in it, she just walks on the marbles.

Back
Top Bottom