Need help with newly hatched chick

ChickenSchool

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
I've got a chick that hatched today that appears to have an infection on its lower abdomen area from some kind of cut. Not sure if another chick pecked at it or if it was like that in the shell. Please take a look at my pic and let me know if you have seen somthing like that before. Can this chick be saved?

I have cleared out the incubator and set it back in as the other hatchlings are in a brooder. Any recommendations to help this chick?

that is not infection there was were the egg yolk asbord trust me i had 2 hatch last like that under a hen and they hatched together and they are still alived

Thanks Justin for giving me some hope for this little one. It seems so weak compared to the others and none of the others have a bulge like that. Will just keep a close watch on it and see what happens.

That's his belly button! It's where the yolk is absorbed and where the umbilical cord was attached. It's one of many reasons for not helping a chick out of its shell. Even when a chick is newly hatched, it may drag the shell around with it until the umbilical cord dries up and breaks free. If a chick is pulled from its shell before it's ready, you can cause intestines to come through the abdomen and cause lethal bleeding. That's a good looking chick.

Offer the baby water by dropper. Allow the drop of water to touch the baby's beak and he will take it in. Don't force the beak open and put any fluid directly into his mouth as it may get into his lungs.

Last edited:
This was not an assisted hatch. I've never seen a belly button like that before. Wow, good to know! This is my second time incubating and wasn't home when this one came out. It seems to be picking up a little energy, but still not strong like the others. Will continue keeping it separated. I am so relieved to read that someone thinks it's a good looking chick.

smile.png
I have had several hatch and look that way. The yolk will be absorbed and it should be just fine. Mine all were okay after 48 hours.

Back
Top Bottom