need help with niacin supplements

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HSerChickLady, Apr 17, 2012.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Our ducklings arrive next week so i wanted to get the niacin before they get here but i'm not having any luck. So far the only things i can find is either nutritional yeast or no-flush capsule in 500mg strength. From what i've read the 500 mg is way too high of a dose. Is nutritional yeast the same thing as brewer's yeast? Is there a place online i can order from?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hmmmmm,

My understanding is that brewer's yeast and nutritional yeast are not the same thing, but I don't know all the details.

There are a number of places from which you can order plain old niacin capsules. I don't think the no-flush is a good idea, from what I have read here, and it seems to me that it is a timed release formulation, which is not what you want, either.

By the way, if you can only find 500 mg capsules of regular niacin, you would just need to add that to five gallons of water, or divide the powder in half and add it to two and a half gallons of water. Easy for me to say! Sometimes storing that much water is far from practical. Forgive me if it seems hare-brained.

So, if you order things online, there are a number of places from which to obtain either the brewer's yeast or the niacin.

Hope that helps!

3. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Time-released was the only other thing the drug store had. I didn't think either sounded like what i wanted. And i was afraid Nutritional Yeast wasn't going to do the trick either. Guess i'll have to look for some place to order something from tonight.

4. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my brewers yeast from the local health food store, it's human grade, so it's more expensive than feed store stuff ($10 for 14 ounces), but it's working great.

5. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I got my brewers yeast from a health food store as well. It was a huge container and I didn't even go through half of it during the 6 weeks my ducks were inside. I tried to divide the capsules in 5th and that lasted exactly one time. My ducks wasted so much water by playing in it that I was afraid that they weren't getting any of it in their bellies. The brewers yeast was easier to sprinkle on the food and it's actually pretty yummy. (Yes I tried some cuz there was a recipe for a nutrition shake on the can. LOL) The ducks loved the taste of it too! Because it's natural I felt better about the chickens eating some of it as well when they were all housed together outside.

6. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    We don't have a health food store nearby. I looked at the closest thing we have and couldn't find any. So i'll probably just order some this evening instead of wasting gas looking for something i might not even find.

7. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    I got a nutritional supplement for mine at tractor supply, cant remember what the heck its called though. But it has Niacin in it. Specifically got it for my girl who is suffering from "wry neck." It cost $8 I think

8. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Thanks, i'll look there when i go later this week and see if they have anything.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    PetesMom, might that supplement be NutriDrench?

10. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    How much yeast flakes to use? I just happen to be one of those whackos who keeps brewers yeast on hand.... because I love it on my popcorn as a coating. It's delicious. If it's easier to use the flakes than to season the water you give them, I'd much rather do that. How much and how often?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by