Need Help with Paint Options/Other Ideas for my pre-fab coop!

hugene

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Austin, TX
I am getting a pre-fab coop that's made with untreated wood from Tractor Supply for three hens: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/petmate-superior-construction-chicken-coop-70401d

I am planning on painting both exterior and interior and I would like some suggestions.

It is important to note that I am in Texas. Humidity and heat will be a big thing (I would like a paint that will remain its color well and at the same time be able to handle humidity/touching the grass).

From browsing the forum, some of the recommended paints are Duramax and Barn Paint.

I've also seen recommendation on Black Jack #57 for the poop tray? Based on the picture, it seems like there is something there already in the pre-fab coop, so I'm wondering if it's worth spending that extra money on Black Jack #57.

Please let me know if you have other recommendations! I would love to hear personal stories for similar coop/environemnt!

Last edited:
I am getting a pre-fab coop that's made with untreated wood from Tractor Supply: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/petmate-superior-construction-chicken-coop-70401d

I am planning on painting both exterior and interior and I would like some suggestions.

It is important to note that I am in Texas. Humidity and heat will be a big thing (I would like a paint that will remain its color well and at the same time be able to handle humidity/touching the grass).

From browsing the forum, some of the recommended paints are Duramax and Barn Paint.

I've also seen recommendation on Black Jack #57 for the poop tray? Based on the picture, it seems like there is something there already in the pre-fab coop, so I'm wondering if it's worth spending that extra money on Black Jack #57.

Please let me know if you have other recommendations! I would love to hear personal stories for similar coop/environemnt!
My only recommendation is to not buy it. You'd be far better of building an open air coop.

I am getting a pre-fab coop that's made with untreated wood from Tractor Supply: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/petmate-superior-construction-chicken-coop-70401d

I looked at the photo of a man painting it and the coop looked TINY!
But if you're just starting out with a couple of girls, it might do for a while.

I looked at the photo of a man painting it and the coop looked TINY!
But if you're just starting out with a couple of girls, it might do for a while.
I will only have three hens, so for that number it should be plenty of space (I think--based on a lot of reviews). Max I will have is four.

I think it will be fine, as long as you let them out of the run during the day. I have a small coop for 2 (soon to be 4), too, but it works because they have the whole backyard during the day.

I painted mine with regular exterior eggshell paint (Behr, maybe?) inside and out before assembly, because I wanted to match my house color. I made sure to caulk the screwholes, and reinforced the stapled-on hardware cloth with screws and washers. I added hardware cloth on the bottom of the run, and better latches that I can put locks on. The next upgrade will be a small gutter so I don't get dripped on in the rain, while I clean the coop. It's held up for almost a year so far, and shows no signs of deterioration yet.

Back
Top Bottom