1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with Pekin duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kelligb, Nov 19, 2015.

1. kelligb

kelligb New Egg

Nov 19, 2015
    [​IMG]Hi my name is Kelli, we have a total of 8 Pekin Ducks. We had 3 outside for about 8 months now and just put 3 more outside 2 days ago. We hatched 5 from the incubator. My question is the 3 we just put outside have red spots all over their beaks. It just started today so a day after putting them outside. I've tried looking this up but can find anything. Has anyone ever had a duck with small red spots all over their beak? I'm scared something is seriously wrong with help. Thank you for your help

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  2. kelligb

kelligb New Egg

Nov 19, 2015
    Please if anyone can help. Thank you

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I know Pekins will sometimes develop little black dots like that on their bills that is just a natural pigmentation, so maybe this is just the start of those coming in? Maybe they start out pink? I don't have Pekins myself, so just speaking from what I've seen posted on here before. Otherwise, I really don't know what it could be. Hopefully someone else will chime in who might know if it is something to be concerned about.

4. kelligb

kelligb New Egg

Nov 19, 2015
    Thank you

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hopefully @Debs Flock is on she has Pekins maybe she can help. Also @Going Quackers has Pekins.

6. adroit14

adroit14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    I have seen some red and black spots on my pekin's beak. She has had them for about 2 months. I agree with Orca

7. adroit14

adroit14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    From my experience, the red spots are harmless

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What other symptoms are you seeing @kelligb if any?

9. kelligb

kelligb New Egg

Nov 19, 2015
    That's great, thank you

10. kelligb

kelligb New Egg

Nov 19, 2015
    The one in the picture isn't acting like himself. He's been laying down all day and to himself. The other 2 that have some spots also seem to be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by