Need help with quails!!

Rose98

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 12, 2014
I had 17 Coturnix quails in the incubator.
Woke up yesterday morning, day 15 and was going to put them in lockdown and noticed one hatched...... so I quickly got him out and put the rest in lockdown.
About 4 hours later I noticed another had externally pipped, there doesn't seem to be any actual whole, just a slight bulge and some hair line cracks. It has looked the same for about 20 hours.... should I investigate this guy?
This morning a different egg had hatched (quail is still in the bator) hatched about 6 hours ago. It's been rolling the eggs as they do.
I was trying to decide whether to remove it or not, I shone a dime flashlight in the bator and noticed that another egg has pipped but on the wrong end........ noticed this about an hour and half ago.....
I have set up a smaller incubator as I do with all my hatches, for just in case scenarios, I was wondering should I quickly open the incubator, and remove the hatched chick, and put the 2 eggs i'm concerned about the smaller incubator so that I can monitor them with disturbing the rest of the eggs?
What do you guys say?

I had 17 Coturnix quails in the incubator.
Woke up yesterday morning, day 15 and was going to put them in lockdown and noticed one hatched...... so I quickly got him out and put the rest in lockdown.
About 4 hours later I noticed another had externally pipped, there doesn't seem to be any actual whole, just a slight bulge and some hair line cracks. It has looked the same for about 20 hours.... should I investigate this guy?
This morning a different egg had hatched (quail is still in the bator) hatched about 6 hours ago. It's been rolling the eggs as they do.
I was trying to decide whether to remove it or not, I shone a dime flashlight in the bator and noticed that another egg has pipped but on the wrong end........ noticed this about an hour and half ago.....
I have set up a smaller incubator as I do with all my hatches, for just in case scenarios, I was wondering should I quickly open the incubator, and remove the hatched chick, and put the 2 eggs i'm concerned about the smaller incubator so that I can monitor them with disturbing the rest of the eggs?
What do you guys say?
I am often in and out of my bator during hatch. I keep the humidity up 75% at least and do what I have to do-successfully.
wink.png

Thanks for your reply...
I took the hatched on out and he seems to be doing alright.....
I have assisted the one that had been trying for over 24 hours, it was very stuck. Does this mean the remainder in the incubator will be stuck? The one I assisted seems very weak..... hasn't opened it's eye's and isn't squawking.... should I try a little sugar water?

Another question..... The weak quail chick is still attached to the egg by a vein looking thing joint to its backside...... therefore it is lying on it's side and it's legs shake/tremor things, is this alright?
Also.... Have about 3 that have pipped, but like the one I helped out they are more hair line cracks than actual wholes, will they finally turn to wholes, one of the eggs has only recently got a pip but the eggs been rocking for over a day, nearly none stop..... is this normal?
I haven't yet touched the one that has pipped on the wrong end, nor have I seen it rock for a while. Its been about 10 hours since it pipped, it looks a little dry, but I don't want to rush into anything. How long should I leave them before intervening? 24 hours or??
The humanity stays about 60-65, I have trouble getting it any higher for some reason..... I cope fine with chook eggs.
Sorry about all the questions, as you can tell, it's my firtst attempt at quail eggs.
Thanks

Another question..... The weak quail chick is still attached to the egg by a vein looking thing joint to its backside...... therefore it is lying on it's side and it's legs shake/tremor things, is this alright?
Also.... Have about 3 that have pipped, but like the one I helped out they are more hair line cracks than actual wholes, will they finally turn to wholes, one of the eggs has only recently got a pip but the eggs been rocking for over a day, nearly none stop..... is this normal?
I haven't yet touched the one that has pipped on the wrong end, nor have I seen it rock for a while. Its been about 10 hours since it pipped, it looks a little dry, but I don't want to rush into anything. How long should I leave them before intervening? 24 hours or??
The humanity stays about 60-65, I have trouble getting it any higher for some reason..... I cope fine with chook eggs.
Sorry about all the questions, as you can tell, it's my firtst attempt at quail eggs.
Thanks

I get paper towel fold it and run hot water on it .squeeze out excess water where it isn't dripping and slip it into my incubator and it raises my humidity quickly.

I use wet sponges in the bator to higher my humidity.
Because one was stuck does not mean all others will be, (doesn't mean they won't either.) That egg could have lost more/or less moisture than the others or you could multiple eggs that didn't loose enough or too much.
I always use sav a chick in my brooder water. I would recommend sav a chick or nutri drench over sugar water, but if you don't have those then yes, I would at least offer sugar water.
"Cord" still attached usually comes off on it's own but if it is a problem you can cut it, just don't ever pull on an attached cord yourself. The trembling doesn't sound that good however.
10 hours isn't long and I wouldn't attempt an assist at that point, however if the membranes look dry, I would moisten them with some water on a q-tip to make sure that it's moist.
Many pips start as cracks/bumps in the shell before progressing to an actual "open" pip.

Thanks so much for your help....
Work up the next morning to find another 10 in the incubator waiting for me!!!
So out of 17 eggs had 14 hatch and the other 3 unfertile, 100% on what was alive thanks to you guys!

Back
Top Bottom