Need help with questions on eggs yolk colors

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by taunya1979, Oct 26, 2016.

1. taunya1979

taunya1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    Ok so I have 6 hens right now 2 aren't laying yet but the other four have been laying for months. The Easter eggers (2) lay their green and blue eggs their yolk is always super rich and dark orangey colored my barred rocks eggs however are always light super pale yellow :( I know it's diet based but they litterally walk around free ranging all day in a little flock side by side the feed they eat is the same why the difference in yolk color is everything is the same?? Does it mean those two aren't as healthy they seem perfect to me. The pic is the four current layers

[​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    It is all in what they eat. They are not any less healthy than the others. I would bet your barred rocks eat more of the commercial feed you provide than the Easter eggers do.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

Mine are all free range as well, and many breeds. My EE have dark rich yolks as well. But I notice they are ALL over the place staying busy most of the day. Specifically the girls, it's how I sexed my youngest Ameraucana. She acts just like my EE girls. So they might be eating a wider variety. Plus staying moving has got to add something in the same way free range verses confined does. [​IMG] However, my BR lay steadily and my EE sporadically.

You got some pretty girls there. [​IMG]

4. taunya1979

Jun 7, 2016
    So their not less healthy? I give them meal worms as treats once a week or twice and they get organic fruits n veggie scraps whenever we have them :)

5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    no they are not less healthy. I would just bet your Easter eggers are eating more free range and your barred rocks are eating more commercial feed and not foraging as much.

6. taunya1979

Jun 7, 2016
    [​IMG]

This is all 6 of them :) the younger Cochin/RIR mix aren't as lovey as my other girls. They're more standoffish

7. taunya1979

Jun 7, 2016
    [​IMG]

THis is one of the pale yellow yolk culprits lol

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I think that Cochin mix is pretty. [​IMG] They might become less stand offish as they age. Most of mine except the white leghorn have become friendlier once they come into lay. But who's to say, each one is an individual. That's what makes chicken TV so much fun! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by