1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalgirl12, Mar 11, 2013.

1. animalgirl12

animalgirl12 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2012
    My dad said I can start raising rabbit (smaller scale) But I don't know whats more profitable pets or meat? I will not be eating them.

I had a rabbit before but it was just a pet.

I am open to any info

thank you

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Get a breed of rabbit that can be both. I have silver fox rabbits. Beautiful rabbit to look at, endangered as well and a good eating rabbit.

3. animalgirl12

Aug 27, 2012
    How can I make the most money with my rabbitsbecause I can't find anything online.

4. animalgirl12

Aug 27, 2012
    Thanks I didn't know that about that!! :)

5. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits (1st Edition)

I love this book. They have it at my library and I may have checked it out more often than any other book. I've only read the 1st edition, and that's what the above links to.

It has all the details on every aspect of breeding and raising rabbits. It also has a lengthy section on meat rabbits and butchering, as well as some information on showing, tattooing, etc.

I don't personally know about selling for meat, because I raise Mini Lops, currently.
    Because I bought my one buck and my one doe secondhand and without papers, I only sell each bunny for $15 each.
    I usually have approximately one litter a year (because I just do this for fun) it just almost covers the annual cost of feed for my three medium-sized rabbits.
    Averaging my litter size to 7 kits, that's $105 earned per litter, and if I say they eat one $15 bag of feed a month, then they are consuming $180 worth of feed annually.
    However, I could just as well be raising three litters a year from my one producing rabbit, and I could replace my non-brood doe, Hazel, with a breeding one and be raising six litters for the same amount of feed consumed.
    Then the money earned from selling the bunnies would be $630 (assuming that I sell an average of 7 bunnies per litter.)
    The money from selling the bunnies ($630) - the money spent on feed ($180) = $450 profit.

Now, this is very estimated and personalized to my own rabbits, but it shows what could be.
    It does not factor in the price of purchasing the rabbits, the housing for the rabbits, the hay, or anything else -- just feed and bunnies.

So I would conclude that, if there is a market for pet rabbits in your area, it could definitely be profitable. Or, if you got really good rabbits, some rabbitries may even start buying from you. I know that most rabbitries sell good pet-quality rabbits for $20-30, while their show rabbits often range from $35-90. A lot of brood does I've seen start at $80.

Just some thoughts. :D

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  6. animalgirl12

Aug 27, 2012
    WOW that is awesome!!

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Maybe not quite as awesome as it sounds. For one thing, Dutchgirl is overlooking the fact that a doe eats about 3-4 times as much feed when nursing as she does when she isn't, and a litter of kits eat like little pigs from the age of approximately 2 weeks until they are old enough to sell (approximately 8 weeks of age). I would estimate that those 6 litters per year would at least double, probably triple her feed costs. Most does lose their first litters, and their litter sizes tend to decrease after the doe reaches 2 or so years of age - so 7 babies per litter gets a bit optimistic (many breeds and does never have that many babies even at their peak of fertility). For the kits to make good pets, they need to be handled a lot, so a good bit of time needs to be invested in them (of course, playing with baby rabbits is such a chore, right?!) Finding buyers for a handful of kits may not be that hard, but finding homes for almost 50 kits per year may be a different issue - some sort of advertising may be needed, and that may be yet another cost to be factored in. If you sell more than $500 dollars' worth of small animals to a pet shop in a year, you need to have a license. If you have really top-class rabbits and want to do the showing thing, there is the time and expense of entering the show, the gas required to get you and your rabbits there, etc.

Not meaning to be a wet blanket, just pointing out that rabbits aren't exactly a get-rich-quick enterprise.[​IMG]

8. animalgirl12

Aug 27, 2012
    No No thats fine I need all the help I can get so I am open to any thing.

9. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I know... Like I said, I wasn't factoring in almost anything. But you're right, I should have mentioned how much the doe and babies would eat. And in reality, that kind of thing would be impossible. So maybe just stick with meat/dual-purpose bunnies, like madamwlf said. ;)

10. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    And I'm not trying to contradict you, Bunnylady... because I know how much experience you have... :D So don't mind me, that was just my impossible theory. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by