Need help with roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rettarain2, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Rettarain2

Rettarain2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    Hello there.Have no idea where this will post or who will read this.
    I have 7 chick's and one rooster. .I raised them from 2 weeks old. They have a lovely home and all has gone quite well until Mr Roo.. my rooster attacked me a few days ago. Now he lundges at me when I near the pen and cornered me today inside. He has also taken to pecking the freshly laid eggs in the nests. I have read that its advisable to pick them up and pet them but how on earth do I do THAT when all he does is attack..I gotta tell you..he unnerves me..lol.. got me a bit intimidated.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS????

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Sometimes those boys just go crazy with testosterone! He sees you as another rooster, and your a threat to him. You show up, feed his girls, and you might even pet them,(which in his eyes is SEX). The girls prob like you better!!
    I have a roo, Big Red who is like that. He is way too strong and big for me to pick up, so I always have a walking stick with me. And yes, I have thumped him with the stick! It took him some time to learn the "my space your space thing" but he did. Do I trust him? No, but we can get along fine when we both respect each others boundaries.

On a side note, my husband can pick him up and has many times. Its funny to see the difference when my husband is out with me. As soon as Big Red sees my husband he backs off like 10 feet cause he knows he may get picked up and carried around, he has total respect for my hubby!!

3. Rettarain2

Sep 29, 2013
    THANK YOU so much.. This is my first time raising birds and I started out having an attitude that .. since I'm new at this. .if they live they live and if I do something wrong Oh well...BUT I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE and they are just as important to me as my dogs cats and children..lol Mr.Roo was not suppose to be MR. He is a gorgeous red and dark blue rooster with a hearty Crow and I really love him but he is extremely territorial.
    after reading your response I have hopes that we can all live happily well hopefully ..lol...in harmoney.
    I'll post updates... off to the coop!!!!!!

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    There's a lot of threads here about managing roosters, full of interesting information and opinions. So far he's won!!! It might be possible to reform him but you'll need to act fast and never back down, I've had chickens for over 20 years, and had roosters good, bad, and ugly. My first was a miserable little bantam who never gave up, we had to carry a weapon and fight him off every day. NEVER AGAIN! It isn't worth it, and very dangerous for everyone. He could hurt you and seriously injure a child, or any visitor. This human aggressive behavior is wired into his little brain, and will be passed on to his offspring. Not good. There are many nice polite cockrels out there who need a home and will be a pleasure to have around. Some breeds and strains of chickens tend to produce nices cocks, and others are noted for having more difficult males. Good luck, Mary

5. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    If you dont have children, I find Roos are handy in tending and watching over their flock- one suggestion I have is to have something close at hand like an old window screen or a section of welded wire (like 3 ft b3ft) so you can grab it and put it bet you and roo if he comes at you-- you can even back him into a corner for a TimeOut with it-- gives him something to think about-- I like the old window screen cause its superlight weight I just keep it leaning up against the wall in the chicken yard, he rarely runs at me though cause I feed him....

6. TTracy

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    your welcome! I'm like you, they mean a lot to me, not "just chickens". Big Red is a fantastic rooster. He is great with his girls. I like to let mine out to free range, so its important that he be there with them.

7. Rettarain2

Sep 29, 2013
    Well, I tried the mop idea. WOW..did that ever work. Mr. Roo now KNOWS I am the NUMBER ONE BIRD around here. Didn't have to do anything more than carry it with me. I believe the treads resemble wings or feathers or something. Anyway, whenever I ventured toward the "yard" he hurdled his "ladies" toward the opposite side and I could walk in freely...fill the water, collect the eggs .Oh Happy Day.. And when I sang him my Rooster song ( don't ask..lol) he still whistled and seemed quite calm. I hope that's the last of any aggression issues...

I am the proud mother of one terrific son . a grandmother to one little girl.( hense the reason I have 8 birds) ..two dogs ( Seneca aka Pudge and Lili) and a cat ( Mason aka Mr. Pink)

IM IN MICHIGAN ALSO...HOW DO THE LADIES FAIR IN WINTER???? THE NEXT EXPERIMENT...EEECH

8. TTracy

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    I so glad the mop worked! He was prob shocked, lol!! [​IMG]

As for winter, there is a debate whether chickens need any heat at all or not. I have a regular light bulb that I use during the day just for light. I have 2 heat lamps hung from above that are on timers. They go on at 5am and off at 9am. I just like giving them a little heat, makes me feel better. If its REALLY cold, 0 or below I will turn the heat lights back on for an hour of 2 in the evening.
    I made the mistake my first year by having the heat lights on all day, and found that my girls would NOT go outside. If I took them out they would run right back in! So being cooped up all winter made them irritable and they fought more among themselves.

[​IMG]

9. Rettarain2

Sep 29, 2013
    Your property looks like mine. Im in Montcalm County.. Are you near ?[​IMG][/IMG]

10. Rettarain2

Sep 29, 2013
    Tracey.. your property looks like mine. IM IN Montcalm County. Ate you in the general area??
    Thanks for the heat suggestion. I had read a light bulb was sufficient. . but it's so cold up here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by