Need help with "round" egg issue

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SteveMadonnaJ, Oct 17, 2016.

1. SteveMadonnaJ

SteveMadonnaJ Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    My 7 Rhode Islands have been doing great laying eggs until this morning. I have a small coop (4x4 pallet with 3 nesting boxes attached to the outside), yes I know it is small for that number, but when I opened it this morning I found this egg lying under the perch's. It is perfectly round, and smaller then the golf ball in the picture. What could have caused this? Is there something I can do to help prevent this from happening again?

[​IMG]

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    How long has it been laying? When chickens first start laying eggs they smaller ones but over time the eggs will start to get bigger

3. SteveMadonnaJ

SteveMadonnaJ Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    They have been laying for about a month now

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Some hens just lay really rounded eggs. Nothing you can do about it. Eggs do gradually get larger after they've been laying for a month or so.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Round eggs are just some of the interesting eggs you'll see when they first start laying. I got an egg with a "stem" once.

Found the pic and added it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  6. SilksterTN

SilksterTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Tennessee Ya'll
    These are my favorite "new kid" eggs. They are teeny tiny and hollow. But so cute that I keep them lol (pictured with a full sized egg)[​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Those tiny round eggs are often called wind, fart or fairy eggs. They're simply a glitch that happens from time to time, even with mature layers. usually no yolk inside. Nothing you can do, really, and most birds get back to regular production the next day or two.

8. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Fairy (or fart) eggs! They are neat. Here's one my girls left me: [​IMG]

9. SilksterTN

SilksterTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Tennessee Ya'll
    I just love the tiny ones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by