Need help with saddle air cell in shipped egg

Clap p 1

Songster
May 12, 2020
Hempstead, Texas
I bought eggs from an inexperienced shipper. Sent them in an egg carton inside a box with nothing on the out side. Four of twelve were crushed. I educated him on shipping and he sent four replacements. Anyway, I incubated the eight and one tough soul has made it to hatch. We are at day 21 and this baby has a typical saddle air cell. It has been peeping, not pipping, and I'm really nervous. I couldn't tell if it was internally pipped but I went ahead and made an external pip on one side of the saddle. Now I'm waiting. I think I have malposition but I know it can get air. I did not break inner membrane. There were no blood vessels on the inner membrane that I could see. I could easily see the whole side of the inner membrane where the air cell is but not below the air cell of course. I wrapped in a damp paper towel and now I'm waiting.
How long do I wait?Or
Please help, I don't know if I'm doing the right thing.

Last edited:
I went offline early last night so did not see your post until today. Be prepared to assist. Are you able to take a picture without removing the egg from the incubator? To hear peeping the chick had to have internally pipped. I have had many saddled shipped eggs hatch this last few months. Many needed help out of the shell.

I went offline early last night so did not see your post until today. Be prepared to assist. Are you able to take a picture without removing the egg from the incubator? To hear peeping the chick had to have internally pipped. I have had many saddled shipped eggs hatch this last few months. Many needed help out of the shell.
No but I have pictures out of the incubator. A lot has happened since last night. He is doing fine, but still has some blood in vessels. They are obviously getting smaller. I just checked him and am keeping humidity as high as I can 60-70. Got some help through another three and they don't think he is malposition and I just need to watch for a tough membrane because in my anxiety i opened the shell. I'll post pictures and you can see if you agree.
good news, I haven't killed him. Yet!

No but I have pictures out of the incubator. A lot has happened since last night. He is doing fine, but still has some blood in vessels. They are obviously getting smaller. I just checked him and am keeping humidity as high as I can 60-70. Got some help through another three and they don't think he is malposition and I just need to watch for a tough membrane because in my anxiety i opened the shell. I'll post pictures and you can see if you agree.
good news, I haven't killed him. Yet!
IMG_0106.jpg
IMG_0107.jpg

Looks like he is just about ready. Once you see that the membrane is bloodless or nearly so, I'd advise that you remove the membrane where you have removed the shell and push the membrane edges back over the remaining shell so it does not dry to the chick. Do not take the chick out of the shell; allow the chick to push itself free. Removing a chick from the shell could be risky as you can't see if the yolk has been completely absorbed. An unabsorbed yolk on a hatched chick usually ends in the death of the chick.

Curious as to the breed of chicken??

Looks like he is just about ready. Once you see that the membrane is bloodless or nearly so, I'd advise that you remove the membrane where you have removed the shell and push the membrane edges back over the remaining shell so it does not dry to the chick. Do not take the chick out of the shell; allow the chick to push itself free. Removing a chick from the shell could be risky as you can't see if the yolk has been completely absorbed. An unabsorbed yolk on a hatched chick usually ends in the death of the chick.

Curious as to the breed of chicken??
Just checked again. Blood mostly gone. He sounds weaker than he has been. He is swelling in one spot where his body meets the shell. I did as you suggested, ever so gently and put him back in the incubator. There was a little blood but not much. He keeps moving his mouth like he is chewing.if he's going to hatch, he shouldn't have any trouble.

Back
Top Bottom