1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with sex of chick. Updated pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Robin'sBrood, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Trying to figure who laid the brown egg the white chick hatched out of. S/he is 5 weeks old and has a rose comb, I think (?) that looks grayish. The daddy is a SLW but the mama could be a...

Red Sex Link
    New Hampshire Red
    Black Australorp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What'cha think?

It was hard to get pics of it. Every time I pointed my camera at it, Lucy would call and they'd run away... chicken chickens! Anyone want to guess as to if it is a pullet or a roo? Based on the comb alone I'm leaning towards pullet. [​IMG] I'm pretty sure the other 3 are cockerels. Check out the comb on this little guy!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Any ideas, anyone?

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Rose combs are different sexing than regular combs. Based on the tail, I'd say it's a roo but mostly I am clueless because I am rethinking all my decisions on my own chicks this year!
    I need to research the rose comb. One sex has 3 rows and one has 1 row, but I forget which is which. Looking at my adults, the roo has 3 rows and the hens have one row, but you know the rule: don't trust it til it lays an egg or crows!

4. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    It looks almost exactly like my RSL x SLW, and that combination so far has thrown two white males, so I am guessing the mother was a RSL.

5. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    That's what I'm thinking too, InsaneBreeder. I have already gotten 3 SLW x RSL cockerels from her this year, but they have single combs. That dark rose comb is throwing me, plus it's wattles are still tiny compared to the other ones at this age. That's why I'm hoping [​IMG] that this little one is a pullet, from another mother. Doesn't hurt to be in denial for a little while anyway. [​IMG]

ETA... here is one of my RSL's boys that hatched in April (he's already been re-homed.)

[​IMG]

The bodies look identical but the combs are so very different. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  6. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I still can't figure this one out. 12 weeks old today... pullet or cockerel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the little boy nestmates for size/development comparison...
    [​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It is a pullet, and the parent is the Sex-Link. The white you're seeing is the dominant white from the Sex Link hen.

8. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    Yes, Pullet

9. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] You all have made my day!

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Just as a little note, when crossing a parent with one dominant white allele (usually showing a pie-bald sort of appearance, such as EE cockerels and Sex-Link hens) and a parent without the white, you're going to get a 50/50 chance of solid white chicks or chicks without any (dominant) white at all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by