1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with sexing Gabriella/Gabriel! **photos**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ZooMummzy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    edited to ask for specific help on the last photos.....

It's that time again...the time to try and determine sexes so I can either put them outside or rehome. I'm feeling pretty good that I have all pullets except for one. I just get that "rooish" feeling with it. I guess the Wyandottes could be roos, but everything except their combs look girly, to me at least. They have been big and reddish at times since I got them. I am new to this breed so not really sure about them.

Any help with any of them would be helpful [​IMG] Photos of yours at the same age is always a good thing!

Pullet (?) - June, Silver Laced Wyandotte
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pullet (?)- Norah, Silver Laced Wyandotte. Could not get her to stand up, but she has legs identical to June's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pullet - Bijou, EE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pullet (?) - Ruby, assuming an EE?
    [​IMG]

not a great photo but I love how the feathers are on her head!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roo?(?) - Gabriella, lol for now, assuming an EE?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Here are my guesses, Note: I suck at sexing, so take me with a grain of salt.
    1. June, Silver Laced Wyandotte- Pullet
    2. Norah, Silver Laced Wyandotte- I'm going to say roo he/she just has that look
    3.Bijou, EE- Pullet
    4. Ruby, EE (I've got to just like her)- Pullet
    5.Gabriella, EE - I'm not sure but I'm leaning towards roo

3. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I'm not sure about the EEs but I think both SLW look like girls. Especially since the legs are alike.

4. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Sounds good, thank you! The only reason I would say Norah is a pullet too is her legs and tail feathers. Legs are thin and feathers rounded and exactly like June's. She was just being a pain today and would not stand up. I put her up, she sat down, lol.

5. preppy*hippie*chick

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    My Wyandotte girls are about the sme age as yours, a couple are a bit older. Their pics are on my BYC page is you want to look. They are all pullets, sexed by their breeder.

6. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thanks! Yeah so hard to tell. Mine were supposedly sexed too but who knows. I think with them I am just going to have to wait till they lay or crow [​IMG]

Nice looking pullets by the way [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  7. preppy*hippie*chick

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Thanks - yours too! I didn't get mine til they were 5 weeks. She says she can't sex them til then, so it wasn't vent sexing. Your first SLW has such fine legs that I really think #2 must be a girl as well. Plus, from what I've read, they would have bright red showing in the comb & wattles by now. Good luck!

8. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thank you for the information! I am glad to know they are most likely both pullets. I've already placed ads for the cockerel. Figured it was best to get an early start on it! I have always had really good luck rehoming them so I'm hoping that continues [​IMG]

9. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I would say all pullets. Only based on the comparison of one of my own EE's that is Much more red and developed than Gabriella and is making strange call noises(huge suspicion it is a roo).

10. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Hmm that is interesting. What about the pointed tail feathers on Gabriella? Isn't that usually a sign? It's all so confusing [​IMG] I'd be interested to hear more about that strange call noise. I hear something odd all the time from one of the brooders but can't figure out who it is! It's not crowing or chirping, more shrill-like. The only other thing that leads me to believe she may be a he is the constant jumping on Ruby and Bijou.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by