Need help with Shih Tzu training

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ginbart, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I received a Shih Tzu for Christmas from my DH. Question is, I was doing a lot of reading on house training and from what I read they say they are very hard to train. Does anyone have one that could tell me if this were true?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i have also heard they were hard to train!...my uncle has one....just whatever you do..dont let her have free roam of the house...use the crate training method....good luck!...i'm also gettig my pup in like 2 days....then the fun will begin for me also!..[​IMG]...

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Thanks, it's going to be a little hard to keep her in one room but I will try.

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    My shih tzus have all been very intelligent and easy to housebreak. The key is being on top of potty outings, and using a small enough crate when necessary. (too big of a crate = accidents)

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    have a smallish size crate that you can bring her in each room with you....just DO NOT let her free roam..at all...it takes 1 second for them to pee...and once they start..its very hard to stop them...it sucks for a while...and you may feel mean..but...trust me..its worth it in the end....keep her confined unless she is literally RIGHT in your sight...and even then........have her on a schedule....always pee first thing in the morning..before you do anything....after she eats or drinks anything....and every 2 hours in between....i'm excited about my new pup,but..not looking forward to the potty training business...[​IMG]...

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    also...this helps...if she messes in the house...pick up her mess with a papertowel..pee and poop....and put it outside where you want her to learn to go potty...and leave it there....and so when you bring her out to go..she will smell the mess on the papertowel...and go in that area...and then she will associate the outside where she is to go potty at...also..you want to have a cue for her to "go"....i say "go potty" for my dogs....and...trust me..thay learn it quick!...i can still use it with my dogs and they are adults now...if i want them to hurry up outside..i say.."go potty"..and they go right to the spot and go for me...also..pleany of praise and even a treat when she goes potty outside..high tone/happy voice....good girl go potty!...good girl!...LOL...you may feel like an idiot..but..it helps them get it quicker..because dogs want to please us.....good luck![​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  7. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I love shih tzu's. [​IMG] Had my beloved Bailey for 16 years! post some pics!
    I did find housetraing a bit difficult with him. Consistency (sp?) was KEY.

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I agree, Consistancy is the key.
    When the pup wakes up take it right outside...Like, right now. This goes for naps too.
    After the pup eats or drinks, it's another trip outside. You will need to watch it to get the timing down. You will figure out if it needs 5 or ten minutes to go from a drink of water to a puddle on the floor.
    Keep in mind that like a baby that they can't hold it for very long.

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i'm so sorry to hear about your son PC!....[​IMG]...how is he now?...

10. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a shih tzu/Maltise mix and she has been very easy to train much easier than our Doxie by far. She is a great happy little dog. She is crate trained and I think that has made it eaiser for us. Have fun. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by