Charlee Ann

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2020
Kansas
Has anyone seen these bumps before on your showgirls? They just appeared over the last week. One, then three, then more, I don’t think they are mites, as my other showgirl doesn’t have these bumps and I do not see other signs of mites like dried blood. I’m hoping it’s not lymphoid leukosis, but not sure how early that would present. We have had mosquitoes and chiggers lately, as I’ve had some bites. ”she” does seem to itch at them, but again, the other Showgirl doesn’t have them, which I would think if one got bite the other would too. “She“ doesn’t seem to be showing any other signs of illness. She acts fine but she is the most relaxed chick I have and even likes sitting on my lap for me to examine her...unlike her 13 other siblings. “she” is 3 weeks going on 4. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I haven’t vaccinated them yet but am open to getting vaccines. I am just not sure of everything I should vaccinate for besides Marek’s (what age should you vaccinate for Marek’s?) Are you able to get vaccines at feed stores or must you take your chickens into a vet?

this wouldn’t be fowl pox, would it? I would think the others would have signs of it if it were and don’t see any on the others.

probably stupid question, but would it just be pimples? I tried pinching them (which probably caused the redness in a few as seen in the photo)

Attachments

• BC924E99-AEED-415D-BC46-294C6D077F9F.jpeg
    BC924E99-AEED-415D-BC46-294C6D077F9F.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 505696FE-36D9-434C-9E82-8A69905E7D5F.jpeg
    505696FE-36D9-434C-9E82-8A69905E7D5F.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 30
Hopefully others like @Eggcessive and @azygous will chime in, but yes...it almost does look like pimples.
Maybe impacted feather follicles. I know she's supposed to have smooth skin, but...
I don't know what your inclination would be, but for me, I would pick just one of those bumps and do a bit of exploring to see if there's a feather follicle curled up in there and festering away.
Wipe the one you are going to do with Chlorhexidine, then take a sterilized need, poke around and see what's in there. Have some sterilized tweezers or any other "equipment" you feel that you may need handy as well. See if it's pus, an ingrown feather or what. When your done, wipe again with Chlorhexidine then dab on a bit of triple antibiotic ointment.
Probing will give you more info so you know which way to go.

I would keep an eye on it, but I don’t know if that is pox, or possibly the skin form of Mareks disease, or leukosis. I would also consider ant bites or little peck marks. Since it has affected 3 birds, I think that pox may be it, especially if there are mosquitoes out now.

The bumps look like bites, fluid filled. As @Wyorp Rock suggested, poke one with a sterilized needled and if fluid drains out, it's more likely a bite. Try using Benedryl anti-itch cream on it, and it may reduce the swelling. Or witch hazel or white vinegar.

Mosquitoes may spread fowl pox, so be on the watch for that. There is a vaccination for that. You also can get doses of Marek's vaccine from Valley Vet, but the smallest amount is 1000 doses and any unused vaccine has to be tossed out. It seems such a waste, and that's why backyard chicken keepers don't usually bother with it, though the cost isn't an awful lot. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...MIlffZ4qTE8AIV9P3jBx1pPwicEAQYASABEgKMPvD_BwE

I would keep an eye on it, but I don’t know if that is pox, or possibly the skin form of Mareks disease, or leukosis. I would also consider ant bites or little peck marks. Since it has affected 3 birds, I think that pox may be it, especially if there are mosquitoes out now.
Actually, she is the only one that has these. I’m thinking it may be an impacted follicle as they have grown fairly larde now. I think in the morning I’ll do some rooting around. It looks like one has started to bleed a little. If no pus is present I’ll try and find a vet to look at her.

Hopefully others like @Eggcessive and @azygous will chime in, but yes...it almost does look like pimples.
Maybe impacted feather follicles. I know she's supposed to have smooth skin, but...
I don't know what your inclination would be, but for me, I would pick just one of those bumps and do a bit of exploring to see if there's a feather follicle curled up in there and festering away.
Wipe the one you are going to do with Chlorhexidine, then take a sterilized need, poke around and see what's in there. Have some sterilized tweezers or any other "equipment" you feel that you may need handy as well. See if it's pus, an ingrown feather or what. When your done, wipe again with Chlorhexidine then dab on a bit of triple antibiotic ointment.
Probing will give you more info so you know which way to go.
I think I’ll give it a go in the morning. I thought they were starting to go away but when I looked in on her tonight they have grown flat and large. It looked like one was busting open a bit and she was scratching at it. Again, no one else has any, so I’m feeling confident it may either be skin related or genetic.

The bumps look like bites, fluid filled. As @Wyorp Rock suggested, poke one with a sterilized needled and if fluid drains out, it's more likely a bite. Try using Benedryl anti-itch cream on it, and it may reduce the swelling. Or witch hazel or white vinegar.

Mosquitoes may spread fowl pox, so be on the watch for that. There is a vaccination for that. You also can get doses of Marek's vaccine from Valley Vet, but the smallest amount is 1000 doses and any unused vaccine has to be tossed out. It seems such a waste, and that's why backyard chicken keepers don't usually bother with it, though the cost isn't an awful lot. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...MIlffZ4qTE8AIV9P3jBx1pPwicEAQYASABEgKMPvD_BwE
Thanks for the vaccine info, I’m going to go ahead and order both vaccines.

Back
Top Bottom