Need help with sick chick, please...videos included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by texaschickmom, Feb 11, 2013.

1. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    This chick hatched Friday and has had distressed breathing since then. The hatch was normal, no assistance needed, all other chicks are fine. I've put Duramycin-10 in the water and am "helping" it drink. I'm including a couple of videos...
    and

First time putting videos in post, so hope this works. Looking forward to any other suggestions to help this little guy/gal. Thanks!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    First off, you need to make some wet chick feed mash and help getting her to eat. Just rub it on her beak. She needs to eat. If she's spent 3 days like that, maybe she'll make it, but she does need to eat and drink something. I use a tspoon. I have never put food in their mouth with a syringe.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I hate to say it, but it doesn't look good. Because it's breathing through it's mouth like that, aspiration of forced/assisted drinking and eating is a real risk, but it does need to be hydrated. I've had some luck tube feeding chicks, but it's not something I would recommend to the average chicken owner.

4. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Thank you both for your help. The little chick died about an hour ago. I would not have been comfortable with tube feeding. I'm afraid I'd do more damage than good. Its lungs were definitely compromised from the start. Thanks again, BYC friends!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm sorry you lost it. Mouth breathing is often a sign that the dying process has started, so I don't think that even the most experienced person could have saved your chick. I have seen that sort of mouth breathing in all types of poultry, cats, kittens and horses, it never seems to end well. Again, sorry for your loss.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by