1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by miller0419, Mar 21, 2016.

1. miller0419

miller0419 New Egg

Mar 21, 2016
    Hi I have a hen she is probably about 4 years old. I noticed a little over a week ago she was looking a little lethargic and standing weird out in our coop. Brought her inside to check if she was egg bound and found nothing. She seemed very week on one side of her body. We are keeping her inside. She did seem to improve a bit last week but today she is back to the way I found her. She have very runny almost liquid poop that is white and black in color. Very tired and she is leaning towards one side.
    Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.

2. delmen

delmen New Egg

Mar 21, 2016
    Give it plenty of water and if it continues go to a vet. She could have a decease.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Its possible that she has had a head injury or possibly suffered a stroke. Has she lost weight in her breast area, or is there any swelling or tightness in her lower abdomen? I would give her electrolytes with vitamins and probiotics in her water. Probiotics sometimes are in major brands of feed as well or in plain yogurt. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently?

4. miller0419

miller0419 New Egg

Mar 21, 2016
    She passed away. Thank you for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by