1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help with sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hdowden, Nov 5, 2011.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ok friend has some chickens that seem to be sick with something. they are acting normal and all but almost their whole face is swollen. it seems to be itchy and they keep scratching at it. it looks bad. they have been treated for mites, had medicated water, and been wormed. none of that has worked. it is just on their faces wattles and combs. the owners wont let me post a pic or i would. thanks in advance

2. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    It could be a number of things, without a pic it's really hard to diagnose. Could by Coryza, Fowl Pox, Worms, external/internal parasites, the list goes on. Are they having sneezing or nasal discharge? Eating and drinking fine? Is there a dead smell when you get close to the face?

What have they been treated with and how?

3. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    occasnal sneezing, no disdcharge, eating and drinking just fine, no smell, no watery eyes.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) all different types and ages
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. normal
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? a couple of weeks
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? the whole pen hasnt jumped to any other pens
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. theres bleeding from them scraching at it
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. nothing...they were taking to the 4-h show and one the chickens next to the speckeled sussex had mites but she wasnt the first one to exibit this
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. laying pellets and corn for the winter and reg water
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? dusted for mites, medicated water, and warmed, also put mineral oil on them
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? all myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. not my chickens and owners wont lwt me post a pic
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. normal run that all grass has been pecked out of enclosed nesting with basicly pine in it. they roost outside of the boxes

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  5. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    does anyone have pics of pox on chickens?

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    It can start off like little black dots sometimes and progress.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2jcdpax.jpg

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/MsAM/2011-01-02_034259_200px-fowl_pox_skin_lesion_2.jpg

Pox is more lesion like. Swelling is more common of other diseases, but it was bad you could get swelling too.

I just read about the possibility of mites. This CAN cause swelling.

Here is a good thread on treatment for Mites/Lice. Make sure you ID the fact you have them too so you can rule out other illnesses.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=594241&p=1

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by