Need help with sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PeachygirlGA, Feb 28, 2014.

1. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    I have a hen that is a year old, Lucy. She used to lay really good but stopped this fall. The other hens have started laying again but she has not. The other day when I let them out I noticed she had a messy bottom. This morning when I went out to feed them she was not eating. She would just sit there and close her eyes. Her bottom is still messy and looks like poop is trying to come out because there is movement back there. What could the problem be? I've never had a sick chicken before so not sure what to do.

2. PeachygirlGA

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    anybody??

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Check her for being egg bound,put on gloves w lubricant,insert finger into vent see if you can feel an egg or broken egg(shells). If you feel an egg,give her a calcium or tums tablet or liquid calcium orally(break into pieces if necessary)this should help pass egg,keep her quiet/warm and in a dark location. You can try a warm water soak this usually relaxes them enough to possibly pass egg,but if she appears stressed/lethargic,do not soak as this could cause her more stress.

If you feel broken egg pieces,gently try and remove shells,be careful you do not want to cut her internally. You can use a diluted vinegar/water solution to flush out vent,this helps flush out egg contents and bacteria count. Watch for infection.

One more thing to look at is vent gleet,but i'm guessing egg bound based on your description of how she is acting. Here is a link for vent gleet.

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  4. PeachygirlGA

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    I was checking on her a few minutes ago and she has white poop coming out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by