Need help with sitting goose.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Yetti, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

I am having issues with my one sitting goose. she has 14 eggs to watch after and has been on task for about 10-12 days without issue. yesterday and today she got up and walked out and has been off the nest most of the time except when I lock her in at night. any ideas why? she is normally a get up go poo and back to task girl. she has food and water in her coop just steps away. trying to figure out what to do at this point.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Has a predator gotten in and spooked her?
    Have you checked eggs to see if one or more have gone bad?
    Do you have an incubator for back up incase she won't stick it out

3. Yetti

No predator issues. she has broken a couple but thats a no brainer. i keep a good supply of grass and leaves for her to pile in the nest. I was thinking about the incubator but I have no clue where to start at this point? if she is 10-12 days in how well off can the eggs be? and if I go get an incubator what do I have to do to set up where she left off?

4. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Warm the bator to temp

Once warm collect the eggs and set them inside on their sides.
    -candle all eggs before setting and toss those not growing and the bad ones.

Mark one side with an X and the other with an O

Turn an odd number of times a day
    - so if you wake up and see X turn to O and repeat atleast twice more that day

Pull them out once a day and mist lightly and let cool for 15-20 minutes then place back inside.
    -set a timer so you don't forget them

Three days before due to hatch stop turning
    -candle eggs and toss bad eggs

1.5 days before set to hatch candle and check for internal pips

Lockdown and wait for goslings to hatch

5. Yetti

Thanks for the quick reply but I am just as confused as before.
    is there a chart in this web site that shows the incubation days and what the candling will reveal? at this point its all guess work without knowing where the eggs are at.
    other questions
    what temp to to set the bator to?
    what kind of marker can you use that won't soak into the eggs?

6. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Goto the sticky at the top of the goose section. Pete wrote a great hatching guide. It is also printed in the April/May edition of a poultry mag found at TSC.

His guide will cover all of your questions and has photos too.

I use only pencil when marking the eggs, it stays on well.

27-32 days normally, breed dependent as some are spot on 30 while others may go 31 and others come early at 28/29

7. Yetti

Thanks i never noticed the guide before.

8. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Welcome and good luck with them

9. Yetti

well pulled 16 eggs today some had been so buried in the crud of the nest I had to hose the whole mess off before I could pick any up. anyways I brought them in and washed them off with warm water and a scrubby sponge. I found a light strong enough to candle with and can see a shifting blob in the eggs if I roll them slowly. I will assume that if I see a blob that's good? I have a couple that are so fresh its hard to tell if they are fertile yet? dunno. any ways I am working on getting a incubator running at this point. the eggs are in the shop resting on a towel in about 65* room temp.

10. Yetti

ok I have started building an incubator. its 33 x 18 x 20 tall. its all 1" foam board insulation ( no cfcs) so as soon as I can flip it I will have it up and running. I have an old style gauge set and ceramic fixture with cord. and a 25 watt bulb. I have already rolled my eggs this morning so I guess I am on my way

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by