1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with skinny goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by birdnerd99, Nov 13, 2013.

1. birdnerd99

birdnerd99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2013
    I have a embden goose and she has worms I gave her some puppy dewormer and she lost a lot of weight and I can't put it back on her. It is very cold here in Michigan and I am scared that she wont make it over the winter. I feed all my birds scratch grains and that does not seem to be putting weight on her I was wondering if I should feed her something different? Please help

Does anybody have any sugestions on high protein food for geese that is in pellets because I don't know of any.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Why puppy wormer instead of something more appropriate for waterfowl? Scratch grain doesn't have much nutritional value in it. I'd feed an all flock with added corn[whole] but the nutrients are going to be in the all flock. or water fowl feed if you can get it. and get some poultry vitamins to add to her water. Your right she needs extra body fat to make it through the winter.
    [​IMG]

3. birdnerd99

Nov 13, 2013
    do you the have a name or brand of food? My mom and I looked up dewormers for geese and that is what came up.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I can only get Purina at my feed store it's called Purina Flock Raiser it for all breeds of poultry. and I can see where that would happen with the wormer since I actually have used a cattle wormer on my flock just never heard of using a puppy wormer before.

5. birdnerd99

Nov 13, 2013
    I have used cattle wormer. I have only seen the flock raiser in crumbles and I heard that crumbles are bad to give to geese because it gets stuck in there teeth.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I feed crumble and geese don't have teeth, make sure when feeding they always have plenty of water I haven't ever had a problem with crumble.

7. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Wow geese with teeth your geese must be carnivores :D

8. birdnerd99

Nov 13, 2013
    They act like it. They come and knock on our glass sliding door for treats.[​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] You know looking at them from the side their bill does resemble teeth. and when one bites it feels like teeth too.

10. birdnerd99

Nov 13, 2013
    Yes they look so mean. But when they nible you it feels like teeth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by