Need help with slow growing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by asher, Nov 6, 2008.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I have some chicks that were born in August. They are so small still. They are fully feathered out, but just TINY.

Any input on helping them grow bigger quicker? I don't plan to eat them at all, but would like to integrate them in with the rest of the flock. I was sure by now (4mths) they would be big enough, but they honestly still look just a few months old to me (some are bigger than others, but all are still pretty small).

I did pick up some game bird starter today to add with their regular starter, upping the protein. Any other suggestions? We do not free range here because it's not safe.

2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    As long as they have propper nutrion, right climate, and are not under stress you cant push them to grow extra.

What breed are they?

Are they bantams? IF you want bigger chickens you need standard birds.

3. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    They are bantam cochins. I have owned bantam cochins for about...mmmm...2 years now? These are the slowest growing batch that I have ever had. That's what is concerning me.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Are you sure they are that small or is it just b/c your other chickens are bigger ?? Ive noticed that with chicks I have had when I look at them after I look at the big girls they look so tiny but really arent !! Know what I mean ?

5. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Yeah, a few are about the size of my first. I definitely think they should be bigger at 4 months old. I do have pics, but not sure how well you can tell without something to compare them to other than a chick feeder.

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Post them and see if that helps !! They are all healthy looking ?

7. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    They aren't growing (quality wise) the way I'd like to see, but yes, they're spunky little things and have never appeared ill at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one to the right below is one of the smaller fist sized ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  8. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, I think they look good! I have a 20 wk old that is leggy, but I believe that is her parents, the other few I have perhaps 14 weeks are shorter then her by a small amount. These Bantam Cochins seem small and take a while to grow (I think). My Penny is the 20 wk old and she has just begun to show signs of maturing, just begining comb and wattles about the size of a 1/2 pea.
    Hang in there, I think they look good and healthy! Are they Mottled coloring? They are unique to see and waddle! LOL.

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Cuties !!!! Like you said its hard to tell !! In the pics they look like they are growing fine !! I really wonder if your like me and think they are small b/c the others are big, LOL!!! I have noticed with my chicks that some are smaller than other and some do grow at a different pace... I have a silkie chick that is about 5 months old and looks like she is 3 moths, all her brothers are bigger.

As long as they eat, drink, poop fine I wouldnt worry to much.... As far as a food goes to "make" them grow I have no idea !!

Wonder if chick grower would help ??

10. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    They're from my splash roo x black hens so should be solid blue once they've got their baby fluff completely gone. HOPEFULLY.

They are on chick starter/grower and I added some game bird starter/grower to that today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by