Need help with SLW chicks

Alugo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
SO - I pick up my order of SLW chicks the first week of August - they will be about 5 weeks old and I will have to pick them out of a larger group - they will be unsexed but the woman told me that if I can tell the difference then I can pick which ones I would like - Any advice on how to tell the pullets from the roos at that age? I am getting 7 and would like 6 pullets and 1 roo if I can - I just don't want to have more that one roo!! Should try to go for 7 pullets and then I will get a roo? lol - Just wondering about the feathering at that age- the leg color - any and all! Also if you have pictures I would like to see! Thank you! This is my first batch of chickidees!!!!!
big_smile.png

at 5 weeks you should be able to kinda tell. Look for the brightest combs possible for the roo, and you should see just the slightest sign of waddles. For the Pullets look for the ones with the most pale combs- should not show waddles. I wish you were getting them at 6 or 7 weeks... You can tell really good by then.

I found that out of my chicks the Wyandonttes were my easiest to tell.

This is a pic of 2 of my SLW @ 7 weeks Girl on the left boy on the right.

95142_img_0375.jpg

I thought a SLW was a roo when 'he' developed really fast...really red and large comb. I gave it to a friend who needed a roo and she said it turned out to be female! I'm new, so I'm just guessing, but so far, the chicks that are the most timid and run away have turned out to be female. The bolder ones were often (but not always) roos. Just a guess..good luck!

Back
Top Bottom